Newbe in Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to get into Under water photos. I see you can spend some money on this hobby. Can anyone recommend a camera and waterproof housing to get my feet wet for under $500.00.

Thanks for any help
Keith

We have a Canon SD780 + Canon housing and it's quite good and should be easily under $500. It can also shoot HD video in case that appeals to you. My other recommendation would be to try to get something on ebay (or the classifieds here) for less and also pick up a strobe.

Hello Keith,

You're correct, underwater photography equipment can start adding up and get a bit pricey. I just bought my wife the Ikelite L18 package (L20 is the latest version) to get her started. It takes great pictures for a point a shoot and I think it makes a great entry level camera. Plus my wife likes the large display. Cost is under $400.00 which leaves you room to get a strobe.

You might also consider the Ikelite Canon G10. It's a bit over the $500.00 price mark but a huge step up from the standard point and shot. It has the standard hot shoe which allows you to utilize Ikelites TTL. Cost is right around $600.00

We also just finished production on our Ikelite Digital SLR Video Review if you're interested in seeing some of the features of the big Underwater camera housings built by Ikelite.

Ikelite Digital SLR Camera Housing Video Review

Ikelite L20 Package:
Dive into underwater photography with two names you know you can trust: Ikelite and Nikon™. We are thrilled to offer this compact and easy-to-use system at an incredibly low price... Perfect as a beginning system or as a backup.

The Nikon Coolpix L20 captures stunning memories with ease both above water and below. Compact and cool, it slips into your pocket to carry along on any adventure. Includes USB Cable, Audio and Video Cable, Strap, two AA Alkaline Batteries, and the Nikon Software Suite for COOLPIX.

The Ikelite ULTRAcompact digital housing for the Coolpix L20 really delivers when performance and durability matter. The ULTRAcompact housing is high quality, built to last, and backed by Ikelite's long-standing reputation for excellence.

All camera controls are fully functional through the housing and depth rated to 200ft (60m). Easy open latch and drop in camera loading make set-up a breeze.

Housing measures 6" (15.2cm) wide; 4.4" (11cm) high including controls; 3.4" (8.6cm) deep including port. Camera and housing together weigh under 1.5 lbs (0.66kg) above water and are nearly neutral underwater.

Includes a 1cc tube of silicone lubricant, vinyl lanyard, flash diffuser, and flash deflector.

Canon G10 Housing:
Every camera function is accessible in this very sophisticated housing installation. Complete housing and camera weighs less than 6 pounds. Housing measures 7" wide (10" wide with the removable handle bar attached), 6" high, and 6" deep.

The housing comes standard with an optical grade glass flat port which allows full use of the camera's zoom range without vignetting. The Canon G10 features a 28mm wide angle setting, even wider than the Canon G9's 35mm lens.

The included tray and release handle offers balance and exceptional handling while providing a convenient attachment point for optional Substrobe mounting arms. Strobe arms can be released easily at the touch of a button whether above or below water. The optional Dual Handle and Tray assembly #9523.32 provides even greater stability and allows for the addition of a second Substrobe.

Since so much of the light is blocked by the lens port, the camera's built-in flash cannot be used to illuminate the subject. No removable color filter is available for the housing's standard port. We recommend adding an external strobe for best results.

Special conversion circuitry built in to the housing provides true Canon eTTL exposure connected to any current model Ikelite DS Substrobe. The camera controls the Substrobe's output resulting in effortlessly perfect exposure.

Ikelite DS series Substrobes are industry favorites for their warm, even coverage and lightning fast recycle time. We recommend convenient and affordable strobe with sync cord packages that provide everything you need to take advantage of "automatic" TTL exposure.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions? Have a great day!

Last edited:
Do you have a digital camera now that you are comfortable wth and like? Maybe you could get a housing for it and start with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom