Newb wanting to go to Cabo Pulmo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblesmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Solo diver wanting to go from California to Cabo Pulmo. Are there any all inclusive dive shops that people could recommend? I plan to land in SJD and was hoping for a shuttle to take me to Cabo Pulmo.

My biggest challenge is likely that I don’t speak any Spanish. Also I was hoping to pay using credit card. Is Cabo Pulmo not quite there yet in terms of accommodating a completely neophyte tourist?

Solo diver wanting to go from California to Cabo Pulmo. Are there any all inclusive dive shops that people could recommend? I plan to land in SJD and was hoping for a shuttle to take me to Cabo Pulmo.

My biggest challenge is likely that I don’t speak any Spanish. Also I was hoping to pay using credit card. Is Cabo Pulmo not quite there yet in terms of accommodating a completely neophyte tourist?
In my opinion CP is not a place for newbie diver, no credit card as I remember (as 5 yrs ago) no teller machine, no all inclusive package ...
It’s only a one hour driving from SJD though, the best thing is rent a car and drive there and see what is available once arrived.

I wasn't going to comment, but will offer up our experience. We've been to Cabo San Lucas twice, and on our second stay, did a day trip with our local dive shop (Manta) to dive Cabo Pulmo. It is an awesome diving experience, but our observation is that the town itself is pretty rudimentary (and no offense intended to those who are more knowledgeable). We would go back to dive it again in a heartbeat.

As point out above, if you are limited to your parameters, but want to do the dive, consider staying in either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo, and hooking up with a local dive shop to do some of the other dives in that area (Corridor, Land's End, etc.).

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I may save Cabo Pulmos when I'm a little more seasoned. Thanks for the Cabo San Lucas advice!

Honestly, Cabo Pulmo is a great spot for beginner divers. None of the spots are particularly challenging or deep. Aside from one dive site, pretty much the rest don't go beyond 60-65' feet.
All dives are guided and the guide must be specifically trained for the CP Marine Park. (Some places like California, you've got to actually hire/request one).

If you are going to dive Cabo Pulmo, then stay in Cabo Pulmo. It's a completely different vibe than Cabo San Lucas. My preference is Cabo Pulmo because I don't need late party nights, bars, or noise. I prefer seeing the wild horses, milky way above, and less pollution. I don't like listening to the boat engines while I'm underwater. Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo does offer a wider selection of entertainment and restaurants. One of my travel buddies really loves CSL. She enjoys the nightlife and the opportunity to tumble into a tattoo shop after bar hopping :p !!!!

Cabo Pulmo can be reached either by booking a shuttle or renting a car. I have done both but I prefer to just book a shuttle since I walk everywhere once I get to town and I don't do anything besides dive. If you plan on leaving during your stay to visit the hotsprings a couple of hours away (you'll pass by the area en route from the airport), then a car is probably a good idea. The drive will take about 2.5 hours at least.
If it's at all possible, make sure to plan your flight to arrive by 13h00 or 14h00 at the latest. It's easier to navigate the simple town when there's still light. There are no street lights and the few solar energy charged ones have not worked well enough for a while.
When I book a shuttle, I have it stop at Soriana's to pick up groceries for my stay as well as snacks and such things. You can buy many of these things in town but not all. Plus, it's cheaper to go to a proper grocery store.

One of the primary reason's why staying in Cabo Pulmo is key, is that availability for diving is on a limited basis - and that restarts each week. Also, each dive site is limited to a certain number of divers and boats per day. If the popular sites runs through the max number for the week on the 4th day, then that dive site will be closed until the 7-day cycle starts up again.
If you're staying in town, you'll be able to adapt easier to the available dive sites. Also, why not put your money back into the local community of people that are helping to maintain and keep Cabo Pulmo great?

So as far as touristy things go, you will need a bit of savvy to navigate your holiday. The lack of Spanish is no big issue. Getting to SJD is easy. I usually fly from San Jose (SJC) to San Jose (SJD) via southwest because free bags (dive gear). You will want pesos or USD. Sort this out before you travel or at the airport (bring cash to trade out or your travel cc because pulling $$ out of the ATM at the airport is pricey). FYI, sometimes the last change booth at the airport (by the exit) is not manned so take care of this in the baggage claim area.
You do want to bring cash with you to cover your holidays. The thing with paying for things in cash is, you will get a better price in some instances. There are a couple of places that acccept CCs but you will be charged accordingly. There are only a handful of restaurants and only one of them (the coral reef) takes cards. You do not want to be eating there every day anyway! The only ATM machine that I know of is an hour north of CP and you don't want to deal with that.

For diving, a couple of the places also accept cards. Like Cabo Pulmo Divers.
I usually book with someone else (cabo pulmo diving) but I will go out with CPDivers for a late dive or rent a boat for an evening sunset "cruise" with friends. hahah.

If you want more info, do a search, I've posted a lot about Cabo Pulmo here. I visit at least once a year, or twice. If you can't find an answer, then ask :)

I'll be heading back November 25 - Dec 4 this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom