newb looking to get into scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all, after years of talking about scuba with my girlfriend we are looking to finally get into the action. I have planned for me and the her to take a beginner class here in Virginia to get us into the water and see how we like it. If all goes well hope to get certified this spring and get a few dives under our belts. Looking to dive at lake rawlings in southern Virginia as well as some ocean dives in the Outer Banks, NC since we venture that way often. I love sea life and fish and would like to see them in their more natural habitat as well.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Sean

here is the best advice I can give.

Look at what you ultimately want to do with your diving, and work backwards from there. That includes both gear and training.

Don't be swayed into purchasing gear that your shop/instructor are trying to sell you, remember that they are in the business of selling things, they will tend to sway you to what they make the most margin on *i.e. gimicky things like snorkels with purge valves and dry seals that cost 4x what a normal snorkel does and gives you no meaningful benefit*, and there are many gear configurations that they are liable to not know about because the recreational dive industry is incredibly screwed up because the gear manufacturers and agencies have the same mentality of selling and promoting gear and classes that they make high margins on vs. what you truly need.

Ensure that as part of your OW course, they include Nitrox. This should be at very minimal surcharge because if there is a dive requirement you can combine it with your last two OW dives and if there isn't, it is about an hour of classroom time. This is essentially a requirement to dive on the coast due to the depths encountered, you'll hit NDL before the tank runs out when you're on air.

This board is biased towards backplates and wings, paddle fins, and all sorts of technical style gear for many reasons, all valid, and worth reading about and really thinking about. This equipment has been chosen for the highest demanding technical dives and functions just as well on shallow warm water recreational dives for the same reasons it functions the best for the deepest and most difficult dives.

Specialties are unnecessary ways for you to spend money on things that could be learned better and cheaper by finding a good diving mentor.

Don't forget why you started diving while you are going through training. This is an incredibly fun activity, but is not for everyone, try not to get discouraged.

Do it, take your time, be patient and have fun. If you can, spend some time snorkeling prior to class, you can begin the acclimation with mouth breathing, clearing mask etc ahead of time which might be helpful, that and just general comfort with breathing underwater.

here is the best advice I can give.

Look at what you ultimately want to do with your diving, and work backwards from there. That includes both gear and training.

Don't be swayed into purchasing gear that your shop/instructor are trying to sell you, remember that they are in the business of selling things, they will tend to sway you to what they make the most margin on *i.e. gimicky things like snorkels with purge valves and dry seals that cost 4x what a normal snorkel does and gives you no meaningful benefit*, and there are many gear configurations that they are liable to not know about because the recreational dive industry is incredibly screwed up because the gear manufacturers and agencies have the same mentality of selling and promoting gear and classes that they make high margins on vs. what you truly need.

Ensure that as part of your OW course, they include Nitrox. This should be at very minimal surcharge because if there is a dive requirement you can combine it with your last two OW dives and if there isn't, it is about an hour of classroom time. This is essentially a requirement to dive on the coast due to the depths encountered, you'll hit NDL before the tank runs out when you're on air.

This board is biased towards backplates and wings, paddle fins, and all sorts of technical style gear for many reasons, all valid, and worth reading about and really thinking about. This equipment has been chosen for the highest demanding technical dives and functions just as well on shallow warm water recreational dives for the same reasons it functions the best for the deepest and most difficult dives.

Specialties are unnecessary ways for you to spend money on things that could be learned better and cheaper by finding a good diving mentor.

Don't forget why you started diving while you are going through training. This is an incredibly fun activity, but is not for everyone, try not to get discouraged.

I usual do a good amount of research before making certain purchases. Scuba gear is always going to warrant that so I know what im getting and making sure im getting a good deal and something i will use. i have a friend who also dives and getting to learn from experienced divers is going to be on the list. looking forward to learning more and seeing what the sport has to offer. I believe the OW course does include nitrox but if not will add that course to the list.

Do it, take your time, be patient and have fun. If you can, spend some time snorkeling prior to class, you can begin the acclimation with mouth breathing, clearing mask etc ahead of time which might be helpful, that and just general comfort with breathing underwater.

yeah the intro class is mainly the basics clearing a mask, rescuing your regulator. and alot of just swiming in a pool with some fun obstacles. If that class goes well i should be looking to enroll in a OW class this spring.

Welcome to SB! Once you get certified, Lake Phoenix(Rawlings) and the Outer Banks are both great locations to gain experience. In the Outer Banks you will find both shore and boat wreck diving that will up your skill set greatly. Just be sure to hire a guide your first few times.

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant... in both diving and ScubaBoard! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom