New Zealand Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'll be in New Zealand for about 1 year after 4 months in OZ. For those of you who have dove there, what are the major areas for diving? What would you recommend? I have no clue about the diving there, I haven't heard much about it. Is it similar to northern Australia? Fiji? What dive companies would you recommend? Any other info would be greatly appreciated =)

Like you I know very little abt diving there.. well actually nothing... but i would guess that it's quite cold. I've been down south and it was really cold and that was in January, and that was above water. But I'm sure the diving would be fun - have fun.

i did two days there a few years ago, primarily to dive the Rainbow Warrior (the old greenpeace ship) We went with Paihia Dive in (funnily enough) Paihia, this is on the peninsula about 2 hours drive north of Aukland. Not a bad setup, boat was a bit rocky but otherwise good. Water temp was 15-17 DegC (september time) and we rented two piece 7mm suits off them (i had only dived 28DegC tropical before so bit of a shock). It was differnet diving to what iwas used to so it was all a good experience to me. We didnt get out as far as the Poor Knights which is supposed to be the place to go, ive seen photos of gin clear seas out there

I'll be there next month and might do a spot of Diving at the Poor Knights.

Any idea what the conditions are like then? Water temp and Viz?

Any favorite dive sites at the Poor Knights I should ask the operator to visit?

Thanks!

Scubaroo:
Check out this magazine's website:

http://www.divenewzealand.com

Most NZ diving is temperate to cold - it's a long way from Queensland or Fiji! See any palm trees in Lord of the Rings? :D

No, but I saw some photos of warm looking white sandy beaches and thought it might be semi-tropical... I think it was the Bay of Islands area...

Definetely dive the Poor Knights!
Scubameister, I only did two dives there, both were excellent. Can't remember the name of the first, but the second was Blue Mao Mao Arch.
I dived there in winter (August) with water temps at around 16-17°C - 7mm 2-piece with hood was fine. Should be warmer in February.

Hi,

I may be a bit late with this but...

I spent a day diving off Paihia - Rainbow Warrior wreck...not bad.

I then went and spent four days at The Poor Knights and it was awesome. If you get the chance ask to dive the Northern Arch as in the summer it is a magnet for short and long tailed rays - some up to 2m+. I had 50+ sightings of these awesome creatures in the arch...amazing. Also try to dive Tie-Dye Arch...both are reliant on weather but should be cool Feb/March 2004. I also dived the White Island marine volcano off of Whakatane and have to say the first dive at Laison's Reef was one of my best - it's a rock pinnacle that rises to nearly 14m near the surface and then drops into the gloom. The life on and around this pinnacle was vreathtaking - lots of rays again, massive schools of 1m+ kingfish and lots of maomao, leatherjackets, wrasse...you name it.

Anyway, hope someone finds this of interest - I have loved diving in NZ and it is not actually that cold - 7mm wetsuit is fine.

ElmDiver

I believe that Dive Tutukaka is the major operator, operating out of , suprisingly, Tutukaka. I was there is early October, 2003, and thought the crew did a good job; they broke down the group between experienced and less-experienced divers, and one other chap and I had a DM to ourselves. The DM let us dive our air, which was good since my buddy sorta gulped it and was up after about 25 minutes. It's at least a 45 minute boat ride to the Knights, and the water can be pretty rough since, as one crew member commented, "After all, there's nothing between us and South America except the Pacific Ocean."

Back
Top Bottom