New Zealand diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JONATHAN A

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be in New Zealand next January for a wedding and I'd like to get a bit of diving in at some stage. Currently thinking about 3/4 days at the Poor Knights from 20-24th Jan (wedding is in Wellington 27-28th) then maybe a day at Papu/Pupu springs and a day or two in Kaikoura for the whales/dolphins/seals. Does anyone know of a good liveaboard operating round the Poor Knights that I could go on for 3/4 days or otheriwse a dive operator offering more than 2 dives a day ??

Also any other good ideas, is there any good shark diving in the area, I heard there is cage diving for blues and makos but can't find any info anywhere...

Cheers
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan
I like this outfit in Poor Knights
But, it has changed hands since I last dived with them, although I am going again late December and from the look of the website they have tried to keep a lot of the good points of the previous operation. They are advertising a three day trip in the time period you are looking at. It is not luxury (no ensuite), but I have always had a good time and I like the fact someone else looks after the cooking and all you need to do is eat, dive and sleep. Three dives a day is about all you used to get and I am not sure that has changed.

thanks for the reply, i've sent them an email so let's see how they respond. do you know whether they have equipment to rent ?

are the poor knights the best place to dive in nz - i had heard white island gives them a close run for their money ?

cheers
jonathan

They can arrange hire gear througn Dive Tutuakaka! I have not dived White Island but I think if I had several days I would go to the Poor Knights.
Alison

Poor Knights are out from Tutukaka as are the Tui and Waikato wrecks. PK's are a Marine reserve so only thing you can take are photos and memorys. Although there is some nice coast around Tutukaka that offers some crays and scallops if you are keen. If you want to do all your diving from one place Tuts is it. If you want to diversify then there is also the Rainbow Warrior, Leigh, Coromadel, White Island,F69 wreck at Wellington, Michael Lermintof (sp) wreck out of Wellington, Kaikoura (kai= food, Koura crayfish), Fiordland. to name a few. Kelly Taltons do shark dives in the aquarium.

Another vote for Ocean Blue and the Poor Knights.

You could try diving in Milford sound... I did it once, but froze my head off in only 12C water. Still saw some black coral. But it was not the place I will dive again pretty soon. Then I prefer the Poor Knights, I did my AOW there 2 months ago and loved it. The water still wasn't that warm (16C) but I hope it will be getting warmer soon.

I think it may clash with your wedding but we have a three dive day to the Poor Knights on the 27th, two day dives and a dusk dive. Otherwise we go out every day to the Poor Knights and we have accommodation too - check out www.pkdive.co.nz

TutukakaGirl:
I think it may clash with your wedding but we have a three dive day to the Poor Knights on the 27th, two day dives and a dusk dive. Otherwise we go out every day to the Poor Knights and we have accommodation too - check out www.pkdive.co.nz
I would recommend a trip with these guys. Very professional and they only visit the good spots:D

Back
Top Bottom