New Zealand Diving at its Best!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDiva_Rach

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well with all the crazy warm weather we've been having over this side of the planet, I thought I'd give you a taster of some of the dives I've been doing lately. The water temp is around the 21'C mark and, let's just say I have spent a fair few hours u/w lately!

Starting with last Sunday! Simply put, I had the best day's diving I have ever had EVER!

Here's why.

I arrived at Tutukaka Marina a little later than intended (8:30am) so felt a slight rush to get my ***** sorted. Met up with Greg, Sandra and her flatmate Heather and before we knew it, we were off! Yukon's boat was full of lovely people and for some, it was their first dive at the Knights boy! Were they (and we) up for a nice surprise!

Our first port of call for DIVE ONE was the HMNZS Waikato, which, believe it or not, had eluded my dive history until now! And apparently, we had the best conditions. I didn't take my camera as I just wanted to explore! And explore I did! What a fantastic wreck. Greg and his Megalodon Rebreather went down way ahead of us and we (Sandra, Heather and I) headed down the line to the stern. The visability was AMAZING (would guess between 15 18m, maybe even better in places), so we cruised through some well lit holes as we travelled along her. Max depth was around 28m and she is encrusted with a lot of life, most notably an array of colourful anemones! We were about half way along the deck when we met up with Greg and we headed inside again at this point. She's very open and an absolute joy to penetrate. We headed up and out a hole in the port side and headed up and over the wreck. There are lots of interesting holes to poke the torch into wherever you happen to be. The four of us then swum around where she had broken in two, the front of the bridge and had a look inside saw the toilet (lovely!) Again, really light, and easy access penetration! At this point, Sandra and Heather ascended a tad while Greg and I went and had a look at the broken off bow. This was just visable from the bridge and we swam about half way along before heading back to the main structure. While Greg was looking I finned gently back around to the line, after having a bit of a play on the deck. Sandra and Heather were in sight about 10m above me and I finished the 50 min dive with a nice, long ascent and extended safety stop not really for safety but because I couldn't take my eyes off the wreck! She is just beautiful and I am so keen to go and dive her again as soon as possible.

So, onto DIVE TWO!

Skipper Noel's plan for the day was to do a wreck dive, one at the Sugarloaf or the Pinnacles and then finish the day off at the Knights. This is in fact exactly what we did! Dive two was at Tie Dye Arch at the Pinncles (about 8km south of the main islands) and so called for the colourful sponges and anemonies which grace the walls. Maximum depth was around the 20m mark and maximum distance travelled was...well...not very far because as soon as Greg and I (and our other buddy Herbert) got to the archways, we found ourselves surrounded by stingrays all on the move, rotating around us. So we perched ourselves behind several boulder-shaped rocks with the aim of staying out of the current to watch this magnificent display of nature. It was mesmerising and I have a couple of videos that I hope will illustrate just how much! As everyone exited the water, Boat crew, Noel and Paulie were met with lots of "Fcuk!?" "Fcuk! That was awesome!" "So many stingrays?" "just bloody awesome mate!" "Fcuk!?.." you get the idea. We were all impressed!!

TDA1.jpg

TDA4.jpg

TDA2-1.jpg

TDA5-1.jpg

And, I also took a video!

DIVE THREE awaits!

Off we steamed to the Poor Knights, visiting Riko Riko Cave en route where Noel got the chance to blow his horn!! and onto Brady's Corner. Greg and I headed in for a relaxing, shallow dive in this beautiful kelp forest. Here are a couple of images from dive three. The kelpie shots weren't that interesting IMHO. Quite like anemone one though :wink:

TDA3-1.jpg

TDA6.jpg

Minimal current, good vis again and a lovely way to end the day's diving....

....on the EAST coast that is!! For after we had taken all our gear off Arrow and said our goodbyes to the crew and the gang, Greg and I high-tailed it west for a dusk dive at the Kai Iwi Lakes. Again, didn't take any photos but this is a good shot of what it would look like during the day.

TDA9-1.jpg

Once i had nipped home on the way to grab a torch, another tank and my drysuit, I met Greg and his wife Nic at their place and we headed for the Lakes. It was around 8pm when we got there and we had to gear up, dive and eat within an hour and a half so we didn't get locked in by the ranger. Nic had prepared a delicious platter of food including roast chicken, bean salad, green salad....just yummy. Greg and I, having survived only on some biccies and lollies on the boat all day, very ungracefully gobbled up a few bits of chicken before we went for the dive. Then we headed to the water's edge.

This is such a beautiful spot, so still, so quiet. We descended into about six metres and headed down. It got quite dark, fairly quickly and we had some fun practicing our night diving signals with the torches on the way down. At about 12m (I think) we hit a dramatic thermocline thank goodness for my drysuit and then it got cooler again as we reached our maximum depth of 18m. Among the weed at the bottom, we saw some little fishies and also some fresh water crays who were quite bolshy for their size! They stare straight at you, as if encouraging a scrap (maybe they've been talking to their salt water cousins!!).

Conscious of the time, we headed up the silty wall, passing pine cones and forest debris. It was very calm and relaxing and we edged our way up slowly into the last of the ambient light. When we surfaced, I was overwhelmed by the silence again. Total peace and serenity.

As a bonus, we had just washed our kit, (again because we had already washed it down after being in the sea of course!) and after we had de-kitted we tucked into a magnificent water-side picnic! We ate, drank and talked until the light failed and then headed home.

The Waikato was one of the best wreck dives I have ever done, the stingrays were absolutely enchanting at Tie Dye I felt like I was in the lost world and needlesstosay extremely lucky to be there. Also, a large part of the enjoyment for me was catching up with some good friends and meeting some new ones who all shared this fantastic day and will remember it forever. Thanks to Noel and Jo for another fantastic day on the boat, to Sandra for organising the trip, and Greg, Heather, Sandra and Herbert for their buddyship!

So, as if that wasn't enough fun, three days later, along with more keen buddies Andy, Sonia and Pete, we booked a day out on the HMNZS Waikato with Dive! Tutukaka.

As we tied of on the buoy for the first dive, we discussed the plan for the dive which was loosely me with Pete (I was acting as his 'dive model':wink:). We would meet Sonia, Andre (Pete's friend) and Andy on the bow and Sonia and I would begin our ascent as the only ones on OC single tanks! Although Pete and I met the guys slightly later on than expected, this plan did kind of work and Pete and I did have a good go at trying to make me look graceful under water!! This is the first time I have modelled U/W (well, ever actually!) and it is actually quite difficult. Pete was like (signalling rather than talking obviously): "Ascend higher,face the bow, look this way, point your torch at my camera port...hold still, close your legs, push your backside towards the structure..." As you can imagine, I was a fit of giggles a lot of the time! But the guy knows his stuff! We reviewed some of the images on deck and I could see exactly where I was going wrong.

After going back to the marina in between dives and getting a fill (of air and food!), we steamed straight back out there for dive two. Following a similar plan, Pete and I headed straight to the bow to improve on my earlier poses and then went back to the main structure, meeting the others there. The time had come for me to leave so I started my ascent, shortly followed by Sonia and then Andy. Andre and Pete the breather divers remained under for a further 30 mins or so. Personally speaking, I did two 29m dives the first was of 54 minute duration and the second, 60 minutes (accounting for the extra accumulation of deco).

The conditions were not quite as mint as Sunday but not at all far off. The wreck is definitely one of the best I have dived in the world and it will be awesome getting to know her over the years.

Thanks guys for a wonderful trip. It was great going out during the week and having the boat to ourselves!! Thanks also to Luke and Dive! Tutukaka for being exceptional as always!!!

The money shot, by Pete Mesley! :D
RachWreck2.jpg

I think I had better round things off now...although I could go on for several 1000 words! I am inspired. I love diving - it is so much a part of the core of me, a reason I exist, I am always challenged and never disappointed and I can't imagine my life without it. In fact, it will be difficult matching last week's for me but I am willing to spend the rest of my life trying! Kia ora everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved reading this as I'll be heading to NZ in august and really want to dive the waikato!

Thanks again for the post

Smashing report, thanks and good to see the pics too. I've family in NZ so now planning to see if I can take my gear out there when I eventually get there. the sting rays look amazing,

After hearing many rumours about the outstanding visibility at the Knights, I had to check it out for myself......and they were not lying. A beautiful purpley-blue water and the vis was, in places, close to 40m (if not more!!) We could see detail on the bottom - 30m down from the boat! I have never experienced it that good at the Poor Knights. What a day! And my computer read 23 degrees C (surface temp!) A few degrees warmer and it really could have been the tropics!!

My buddy was Jo, who I met through www.scubadive.net.nz/bb3 and she was blown away!!! This was also my first trip on Dive! Tutukaka's El Tigre, (www.diving.co.nz) skippered by Glenn Edney - what an awesome boat (and skipper - better say that...I'm his guest for two nights!!!!)

Anyway I got a bit snap happy during my 2 hours below sea level. ENJOY!!

Shrimp.jpg

Snapper2.jpg

Snapper1.jpg

MottledMoray1.jpg

Yellowmaoray2.jpg

Yellowmaroay3.jpg

Mosaicmoray1.jpg

Tamja2.jpg

Tamja1.jpg

Nice view of the stunning vis in this shot!

DD_R

Hey Rach, Mike here. Dont know where you are situated but always looking for experienced dive buddies here in NZ. Try to get to globals club night, have been doing a lot of dives at cape Brett lately. If ya need a body to round out a group or are looking to join a group my email is decoscubaboy@gmail.com. My current dive buddy is about to head to Ozz for work... and my other one has had a couple kids so doesnt get out much... anyway thanks for the post and hopefully will see ya out on the water some time.

Hey Rach, Mike here. Dont know where you are situated but always looking for experienced dive buddies here in NZ. Try to get to globals club night, have been doing a lot of dives at cape Brett lately. If ya need a body to round out a group or are looking to join a group my email is decoscubaboy@gmail.com. My current dive buddy is about to head to Ozz for work... and my other one has had a couple kids so doesnt get out much... anyway thanks for the post and hopefully will see ya out on the water some time.

Hi Mike,

I live in Northland so hence why I dive the Poor Knights on a fairly regular basis. I am a Global Dive Club member :wink: but have only made one club event (the Christmas do) since I moved up north. I am heading to the Cowshed (Northland Dive) on 7th and 8th March for a couple of dives on the Canterbury and a couple on the Rainbow Warrior if you're interested?

I also run a website with a heap of active, experienced divers on board (and quite a few Auckland-based) if that might be of use to you? The URL is www.scubadive.net.nz/bb3

Hope to see you for a dive soon!!

Rach.

Hi there,
I am up in Mangonui and spotted this thread and your pictures.
What else would I do today as it is raining sideways all day...
I think your photography is great. Super sharp.
Looks like it will blow itself out soon (yeah right) and I can sneak out for a scollie dive if the swell backs down a bit. Maybe by Sat?
Cheers. Garry.

Hi Garry,

Sorry I have been away for a few days. Did you get out on Sat? You're not the same Garry from Maunganui that bought my Mares Nemo off Trade Me are you?:blinking:

Here's some of what I've been up to lately:

Well, talk about a perfect birthday!!! Yes it was my birthday recently! :D

Met buddy Sonia at 9am and headed straight to Yukon, where we met Noel and Jo and....kevfish (who I hadn't realised was coming along!) Also recognised a couple of Tuts regulars so ended up knowing quite a few people on board!

Weather was flat, calm seas and sunny 8)

Motored out to the Knights...Craig from Dive! Tutukaka had told me he dived the Sugarloaf the day before and had 30m vis but we decided to head to the main islands for dive one and then see whether we could get to SL or the Pinnacles on the way back.

To my delight we put down anchor at Northern Arch - my absolute FAVOURITE dive site at the Poor Knights!!!! And as promised, I dived sans wetsuit. My mad buddy also decided to dive in just her togs (she is extremely safety conscious and so having the same exposure was paramount :wink: :lol: )

So we descended to 30m and mucked about in the archway! Here is the oh-so important photographic proof of our adventure:

Rach2.jpg

Sonia1copy.jpg

Rach1-1.jpg

Oh, we managed 35 minutes, which I happen to think was rather impressive!

Anyway...moving swiftly on!

During the surface interval, everyone was chatting and then it went quiet for a few moments....then everyone started singing 'happy birthday' as Sonia brought out her homemade cake adorned with candles (about 19 short but who's counting!!!) so I blew them out and made a wish.

After a nice tour of the islands I managed to talk Noel into taking us to Tie Dye Arch - my second fave spot at the Knights! And although there were no stingray (I suspect they were all at the Sugarloaf!), there was a lot of fish action and Sonia and I had a good play around the back of the arches. Such a beautiful dive!!

Fishes.jpg

Moraycopy.jpg

ScorpionFishcopy.jpg

TieDye1.jpg

TieDye2.jpg

TieDye3.jpg

And if all that wasn't enough....on the way back to the marina, out came the champers!! What a fantastic day on the boat!

RachSonia.jpg

After we had 'debriefed' at the fishing club, I headed to Schnappa Rock, where I was wished Happy Birthday by some Dive! Tutukaka crew. My friends Glenn and Janey, Kev and Janine, Chris and Julia all joined me for a birthday drink and then sfish and I had a yummy dinner at Schappa Rock with Noel and Jo. And....you guessed it....I got to blow out another candle on another cake! By that time, it was only 10pm but I was exhausted from such a fantastic day!

Thanks to everyone - especially sfish - for making this one of the best birthdays ever!!!!! Already started planning my 30th!!! How do I top this though?!

crew.jpg

And also some info on last weekend's dives:

Well, I just got back from a fantastic weekend at Northland Dive - thanks to Shane, Julia and Darryl!

I arrived around 6pm on Friday and was greeted by Pete Mes, Skip, Mark, Jane and John, who I had met before on various trips and we settled down to a yummy dinner.

Day one was at Deep Water Cove and on the HMNZS Canterbury. This was my first dive here and I had been looking forward to diving her since I saw her sink and she is MAGNIFICENT. There are so many interesting features to explore and we had a ball. Sandra, Mark and myself were a buddy team, although Mark was on twins and solo trained so he was happy to mooch with us and then take a detour for a bit. He had actually served on a Navy Frigate so was perhaps more qualified than any of us to guide!! I really enjoyed travelling through some of the corridors and getting a good look at the life on her - anemonies (just stunning)and Leather Jackets were EVERYWHERE! There were heaps of us down there on Dive One (19 from Northland Dive) plus Pahia Dive but Dive Two was a more initimate experience. I even tried some 'wreck' photography.

After a fantastic roast dinner and a couple of glasses of wine, we headed to bed ahead of our Cavelli Islands adventure. We left the beach at around 10am for the hour-long trip to the islands, passing a heap of ugly looking water on the way (but thatnkfully leaving it behind!) We tied up to Sea D Sea (Julia's boat) and prepared to dive in. On this dive I buddied with Sandra and Mark with a plan to meet PeteMes (u/w photographer) at the bow for some modeling. The Warrior is much, much smaller than the Canterbury and so we were at the bow fairly soon. I decided I was either really good or really rubbish at the modeling because the session was over very quickly!!! (There were some decent shots thankfully....!!). After a lot of giggles and about 30 photos I left Pete and rejoined Sandra and Mark inside at the top. I was surprised at the decent penetration this wreck offers and I had been looking forward to diving her since I came to New Zealand. Mark very kindly helped us with some extra lighting for our photos (excellent buddyship!!) and a great day was had by all!

Many, many thanks to the crew at Northland Dive and everyone on the trip - it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!! :D

Anyway...photos!

Canterbury:
Cant1.jpg

Cant5.jpg

Cant4.jpg

Cant3.jpg

Cant6.jpg

Cant7.jpg

Cant8.jpg

LJ.jpg

Jewel1.jpg

Warrior: