New Zeagle Razor 20cu pony bottle - How much integrated BCD weight should I deduct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
flying lion
Reaction score
Looking for advice on much weight to deduct from my normal BC weight pockets to account for the new Pony Bottle setup.

I dive the Zeagle Stiletto BCD and will be front side mounting this new 20cu Razor Pony bottle on the D-rings in the Zeagle pony holder.(see pic).
My dirst dive with it will be next week in North Carolina. I usually carry 14 pounds of weight in my integrated BCD pockets: 4lbs left front, 4lbs right front, 3lbs left rear and 3lbs right rear. So should I simply forego the 4lb pocket weight on the front right where the pony is carried and see how it goes? Or should I distribute the weight more in pockets if I need to carry less than 10lbs. I have some 2's, and additional 3's that I could substitute...

Attachments

• 1000005629.jpg
    1000005629.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 21
Specs are difficult to find for this. I did find that the tank itself weighs 12 lbs (no valve/reg), which makes it -1.1 lb buoyant, so I'd guess you're looking at dropping 2-3 lbs (including the valve/reg). If you wanted to know for sure, just measure it while submerged with a luggage scale when empty.

First, "front side mounting" is no such thing. You are just carrying ti from your D-Rings, in front.
Secondly, it is a pony, so you do not intend to use the gas from it, right? At most, even if you did, that would only be about a pound of gas.
Thirdly, most folks carrying a small pony like that don't even both adjusting any weights....the pony and reg makes them slightly heavier (like, maybe 2 pounds at most) and they just compensate by adding a bit more gas to the BCD.

If I were using a pony, I would adjust for the empty buoyancy, because it's trivial to do so (assuming I have the needed lead bricks). I'm not giving it up during the dive; after all, it's called "pony" for a reason (Piss Off, Not Yours).

I agree with the above on not removing any weight.

I milk my pony / deco bottle (30cu ft) over a period of time as I use it for occasional deco plus while washing and cleaning the tank and reg after every dive.

I currently have 90 bar in it. I normally use 40-50 bar from 21m to 6m, so it becomes slightly positive over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom