New Wreck : P38 Lightning (Solana Beach, CA -- 180 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
@California Diver and I have located another new airplane wreck in Southern California.

This time it is a P-38 Lightning off Del Mar / Solana Beach area in about 180 fsw. We also have a preliminary ID on the wreck. It is upside down but relatively intact given that it crashed almost 80 years ago. The whole story along with a ton of photos is available at the blog post below. I also built and published a fairly detailed photogrammetry model.

This is the third P-38 I have dove in Southern California. Here is a screenshot of the photogrammetry model:

p38-model-2.png

Regards,

- brett

Quick update. We were able to get a copy of the accident report and it reinforces our belief that we correctly identified the bureau number. Given the state of the wreck, we doubt that we will ever be 100% confident, but at this point, we have a high confidence level. Here is a post with all the details, including a copy of the accident report:

- brett

Quick update. We were able to get a copy of the accident report and it reinforces our belief that we correctly identified the bureau number. Given the state of the wreck, we doubt that we will ever be 100% confident, but at this point, we have a high confidence level. Here is a post with all the details, including a copy of the accident report:

- brett
In my experience, 100% confidence is a rare thing when identifying wrecks that match one another in loss description. I will double post here and the Great Lakes forum about a discovery we made this year and how it undid other IDs made in 1998 and 2021.

In my experience, 100% confidence is a rare thing when identifying wrecks that match one another in loss description. I will double post here and the Great Lakes forum about a discovery we made this year and how it undid other IDs made in 1998 and 2021.

Yup, agreed. Until/unless you get get a Bureau ID or engine plate number or a tail number, etc. you can't be really sure.

We overturned a Corsair crash last year after I built a photogrammetry model and we realized that it had three blades and not four. The story in two posts are posted here:

Regards,

- brett

Back
Top Bottom