new world's depth record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess those Poseidon regs really are good...

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/150605gomes.shtml

Divernet News, dateline 15 June 2005

South African claims scuba depth record

Nuno Gomes, a 52-year-old South African, claims to have dived to 318m off the coast of Egypt, setting a new world depth record for open-circuit scuba.

Gomes descended down a 320m weighted line, with tags to be retrieved as proof of depth reached, along with dive computer records. Dangers included nitrogen narcosis, oxygen toxicity, adverse effects of gas changes, HPNS (a nervous complaint connected with rapid, deep descents), and dehydration.

The dive, recorded precisely at 318.25m, involved a 20-minute descent followed by some 12 hours of decompression. Gomes used a series of suspended stage cylinders, and was tended by nine support divers. He is reported not to have required recompression treatment after surfacing, but was put on oxygen as a precaution.

Gomes, a civil engineer from Gauteng, made a record attempt last July but suffered technical problems at 271m. He was lucky to get back to the surface unharmed.

The experience followed another close call in 1996, when Gomes got stuck in the silt at the bottom of Boesmansgat Cave in South Africa's Northern Cape. The 282.6m dive was a world open-circuit scuba record at the time, and remains a world cave diving record.

In 2001 a Briton, the late John Bennett, exceeded the magical 1000ft (305m) barrier with a dive to 308m in the Philippines. In 2003 another Briton, Mark Ellyatt, dived to 313m off Thailand.

CRDiver:
http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/150605gomes.shtml

Divernet News, dateline 15 June 2005

South African claims scuba depth record

Nuno Gomes, a 52-year-old South African, claims to have dived to 318m off the coast of Egypt, setting a new world depth record for open-circuit scuba.

Gomes descended down a 320m weighted line, with tags to be retrieved as proof of depth reached, along with dive computer records. Dangers included nitrogen narcosis, oxygen toxicity, adverse effects of gas changes, HPNS (a nervous complaint connected with rapid, deep descents), and dehydration.

The dive, recorded precisely at 318.25m, involved a 20-minute descent followed by some 12 hours of decompression. Gomes used a series of suspended stage cylinders, and was tended by nine support divers. He is reported not to have required recompression treatment after surfacing, but was put on oxygen as a precaution.

Gomes, a civil engineer from Gauteng, made a record attempt last July but suffered technical problems at 271m. He was lucky to get back to the surface unharmed.

The experience followed another close call in 1996, when Gomes got stuck in the silt at the bottom of Boesmansgat Cave in South Africa's Northern Cape. The 282.6m dive was a world open-circuit scuba record at the time, and remains a world cave diving record.

In 2001 a Briton, the late John Bennett, exceeded the magical 1000ft (305m) barrier with a dive to 308m in the Philippines. In 2003 another Briton, Mark Ellyatt, dived to 313m off Thailand.
Interesting to note that Gomes spent around 5 more hours in the water than Ellyatt, who went almost as deep. I believe Ellyatt decended in 14 minutes, spent 1 minute at depth, then the rest of over 7 hours ascending. Wonder how long Gomes spent at depth before starting to ascend?

Vie:
Guess those Poseidon regs really are good...

Repleat with celebrity endorsements. An I wanna be like Nuno! campaign can't be far behind....

Nike will be calling this "diver" (or should I say, with probably a one minute at final depth, this "Ascender") for an exposure suit placement, I'm sure, for their new division: NikeDive.

Next, McDonalds on the shoulder, Tide on the regulator cap and before you know it, you got wet NASCAR - without the circles.

Who took pictures at depth - was there a robo cam or some submersible thing? I mean, there's gotta be a pic of Numo tearing off the Wet Notes tag off the rope at a zillion feet, with the tag at a zillion and one feet just out of reach. Imagine the ad buy. P&G at 1000+ feet. Priceless.

I get pushing the limits and all - but is this really a thing? Super crazy deep diving? Is this exploration, endurance or just a guy and a zillion stage bottles?

Wow.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Repleat with celebrity endorsements. An I wanna be like Nuno! campaign can't be far behind....

Nike will be calling this "diver" (or should I say, with probably a one minute at final depth, this "Ascender") for an exposure suit placement, I'm sure, for their new division: NikeDive.

Next, McDonalds on the shoulder, Tide on the regulator cap and before you know it, you got wet NASCAR - without the circles.

Who took pictures at depth - was there a robo cam or some submersible thing? I mean, there's gotta be a pic of Numo tearing off the Wet Notes tag off the rope at a zillion feet, with the tag at a zillion and one feet just out of reach. Imagine the ad buy. P&G at 1000+ feet. Priceless.

I get pushing the limits and all - but is this really a thing? Super crazy deep diving? Is this exploration, endurance or just a guy and a zillion stage bottles?

Wow.

---
Ken

I think these divers could only dream about getting that kind of corporate sponsorship. These “deep world record” dives don’t make big news. Even dive equipment manufactures seem reluctant to sponsor these “world record” dives—for good reasons.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom