New with ear problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fletch1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi, new to Scuba. Had first confined dives this week in local pool (9ft max depth). Did well on first night drills- didn’t particularly like the mask flood/clearing but who does? Had LOTS of trouble equalizing on our first “swim around”. Did a ton of research on clearing techniques, practiced during the next day out of the water before class. That night had more trouble, took it slower, tried the other techniques I had practiced and finally felt ok - no pain or squeezing but not “normal” either. Tried turning my head and tilting the ear up and it cleared immediately but then felt like water rushed in. No pain, in fact it felt great. Same thing happened on the other ear. Had a reverse block coming back up. Not painful, just pressure and that “clogged” feeling. The rest of the descents and ascents that night were much easier. My ears still felt like they had water in them after class and then the next morning. We had one more night of confined classes then off to the quarry this weekend for the OW dives. Decided to go to my primary Dr just for a check before since my ears still felt full and I was having to equalize them even out of the water. She said double ear infection (middle ear - not your typical swimmers ear thing) and possibly a slight sinus infection (She dives but is not dive trained for medicine). Haven’t had an ear infection in 35 years and 15 for a sinus infection. In fact, haven’t been sick with a cold or flu or respiratory virus in over 15 years. Can’t finish the last confined dive and obviously won’t be doing the OW dives this weekend either. I’ll hop into the dive shops class next month (hopefully) probably do the confined dives 2 and 3 over again just to get the practice and have some time practicing equalizing again. I have an appt with a DAN ENT in two weeks once the ear infection is cleared) just for a once over to be sure everything is working right (closest DAN ENT is 2 hours from me). Is there hope to be able to dive and equalize properly ?? Are ear infections a “thing” for divers? I’ve never been prone to ear or sinus infections and don’t have a problems on planes or higher altitudes (do lots of backpacking and hiking). TIA

Hi Fletch!

Yes, there is hope. Lots of hope. Don't be discouraged. You are smart to visit the doctor.

For me, any irritant causes inflammation in and around my sinuses, including my Eustachian tubes. Inflammation makes it harder to equalize, even if you are skilled at it. Last year I was diving in Honduras. The morning dive was fine. I ate some spicy lunch, and couldn't equalize during the afternoon dive! By night, I was fine again !?!

The fact that your ears did not quickly and easily equalize on the way up (reverse block) implies to me that you were inflamed. The diagnosis of a middle ear and sinus infection supports the idea. This also means that your equalization technique (going down) was not a factor. It might be correct or wrong, but since you were inflamed you can't know.

When you visit the ENT, ask them about 12-hour sudafed, flonaze, ibuprofen, and possibly low-dose prednisone. Any or all of these combined can help reduce inflammation and make equalization a snap. I use them all when on vacation, and I can equalize without even pinching my nose. Your mileage may vary! Everybody is different.

Also, keep in mind that aggressive equalization, like pinching and blowing hard, can cause inflammation by itself. Repeated attempts can just reduce the chances of success.

Ear infections are a 'thing' for many divers, but not a rampant problem. They are usually outer-ear (ear drum) not middle or inner ear. I've never had one. Many people use 'drying' ear drops or special scuba ear plugs to keep their ear canal and drum infection free. I've even heard some people travel with antibiotics, just in case they need them.

Clear up your infection and try again. You can swim to the bottom of a pool's diving well and experience enough pressure to practice.

Good luck!

Hi Fletch!

Yes, there is hope. Lots of hope. Don't be discouraged. You are smart to visit the doctor.

For me, any irritant causes inflammation in and around my sinuses, including my Eustachian tubes. Inflammation makes it harder to equalize, even if you are skilled at it. Last year I was diving in Honduras. The morning dive was fine. I ate some spicy lunch, and couldn't equalize during the afternoon dive! By night, I was fine again !?!

The fact that your ears did not quickly and easily equalize on the way up (reverse block) implies to me that you were inflamed. The diagnosis of a middle ear and sinus infection supports the idea. This also means that your equalization technique (going down) was not a factor. It might be correct or wrong, but since you were inflamed you can't know.

When you visit the ENT, ask them about 12-hour sudafed, flonaze, ibuprofen, and possibly low-dose prednisone. Any or all of these combined can help reduce inflammation and make equalization a snap. I use them all when on vacation, and I can equalize without even pinching my nose. Your mileage may vary! Everybody is different.

Also, keep in mind that aggressive equalization, like pinching and blowing hard, can cause inflammation by itself. Repeated attempts can just reduce the chances of success.

Ear infections are a 'thing' for many divers, but not a rampant problem. They are usually outer-ear (ear drum) not middle or inner ear. I've never had one. Many people use 'drying' ear drops or special scuba ear plugs to keep their ear canal and drum infection free. I've even heard some people travel with antibiotics, just in case they need them.

Clear up your infection and try again. You can swim to the bottom of a pool's diving well and experience enough pressure to practice.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I already use Flonase regularly. Unfortunately I have high blood pressure (controlled with low does med) and can’t take Sudafed. Hoping the ENT will be able to give me something else (drops or prednisone)...

I recently got back in the water after years of trying to patch a perforated ear drum that doesn't want to be patched, so it remains wide open, I cant go underwater in a bathtub! I now dive with a combo of Docs pro plugs, IST pro ear mask and the fitted hood for it. I also shave my beard and sides of my head to help with the seal. I have been down to 85 feet and ears stay dry. Here is my youtube video with my last dive:

I recently got back in the water after years of trying to patch a perforated ear drum that doesn't want to be patched, so it remains wide open, I cant go underwater in a bathtub! I now dive with a combo of Docs pro plugs, IST pro ear mask and the fitted hood for it. I also shave my beard and sides of my head to help with the seal. I have been down to 85 feet and ears stay dry. Here is my youtube video with my last dive:
Awesome thanks Mike! And you have no troubles clearing with the docpros? Also, how does the mask work if comes off under water? I assume you lose the dryness of the ear covers ?

Neti pot does help. Cheap, easy, and no medication involved.

It seems to me that in the beginning it is harder. We are focusing on all these unusual feelings and trying to get everything right. It DOES get easier. I had a fair bit of trouble in the beginning. I discovered I had a slightly deviated septum which contributes to my problems. I have found that wearing a light hood even on tropical dives eases the pressure of currents and allows the water around my ear to stay warmer further easing the issue.

You have done the right thing arranging to get professional help. We can give suggestions here but we can't see the physical aspect or diagnose. One of the problems with online communication of course is always interpretation :facepalm:

You have got some excellent advice here. I know @Searcaigh has ear issues that he manages well enough to get in heaps of amazing diving (and pictures). @Duke Dive Medicine will probable have some good ideas as well. You will find great information in the Dive Medicine forum but I am glad you brought this up here in Basic because so many new divers struggle with it too.

I have three in my family with ear problems and getting them certified was a headache. The shallow depths of a chlorinated overpopulated public used pool were big factors along with all the ups and downs in shallow water. I do not think equalization was covered nearly well enough in the class as quite a few people never completed the pool work from ear and sinus problems. One of mine finished the class but had so much ear pain at our open water he didn’t make it. I believe most of them never got equalized in the shallow pool and really suffered from it.

Getting equalized is literally the number one thing my crew had to learn to be able to dive because it throws everything else off if you spend all your concentration trying to equalize the next thing you know you have dropped or raised to fast to much and now your ears are really screwed. Not that the rest of the life saving part of training doesn’t hold some value:) But you have to equalize before you can actually dive period and our class covered equalization for a brief moment and then moved on. Which from a very experienced dive instructor teaching a class to a bunch of newbies he or she has forgotten or maybe never even had the slightest struggle to equalize so they have no idea how hard some people may struggle with it. Two of my family members now use ear plugs when diving and its really helped them. Docs pro vented seems to be there choice after diving a number of years. My wife takes Sudafed and it helps to some degree 1 pill 20 minutes before diving.

I think the thing that helps them the most is getting below 15 to 20 feet and not coming above that level until the dives over. If your ears show issues you must stop maintain buoyancy at or above that level until you get them right and I think a lot of new divers struggle to make that happen. My middle son the one who couldn’t make the first open water dive has had ear issues his whole life I had concerns about him being able to dive but we got him certified from shore with a very patient small class of other divers and he has a great time in the water now. Point here is this part of it is a mess for some that just need to get out of the pool into the ocean and below the worst part of equalizing so dont give up and make sure your ears are right before going deeper. If you cant finish the class wait till your ears are healed get them checked by a doctor and then try it again personally I’d go someplace where your water training is in salt water and warm if your struggling in a pool. If I had it to do over we would have just made a two week vacation out of it and t would have happened warm and in the ocean.

I have three in my family with ear problems and getting them certified was a headache. The shallow depths of a chlorinated overpopulated public used pool were big factors along with all the ups and downs in shallow water. I do not think equalization was covered nearly well enough in the class as quite a few people never completed the pool work from ear and sinus problems. One of mine finished the class but had so much ear pain at our open water he didn’t make it. I believe most of them never got equalized in the shallow pool and really suffered from it.

Getting equalized is literally the number one thing my crew had to learn to be able to dive because it throws everything else off if you spend all your concentration trying to equalize the next thing you know you have dropped or raised to fast to much and now your ears are really screwed. Not that the rest of the life saving part of training doesn’t hold some value:) But you have to equalize before you can actually dive period and our class covered equalization for a brief moment and then moved on. Which from a very experienced dive instructor teaching a class to a bunch of newbies he or she has forgotten or maybe never even had the slightest struggle to equalize so they have no idea how hard some people may struggle with it. Two of my family members now use ear plugs when diving and its really helped them. Docs pro vented seems to be there choice after diving a number of years. My wife takes Sudafed and it helps to some degree 1 pill 20 minutes before diving.

I think the thing that helps them the most is getting below 15 to 20 feet and not coming above that level until the dives over. If your ears show issues you must stop maintain buoyancy at or above that level until you get them right and I think a lot of new divers struggle to make that happen. My middle son the one who couldn’t make the first open water dive has had ear issues his whole life I had concerns about him being able to dive but we got him certified from shore with a very patient small class of other divers and he has a great time in the water now. Point here is this part of it is a mess for some that just need to get out of the pool into the ocean and below the worst part of equalizing so dont give up and make sure your ears are right before going deeper. If you cant finish the class wait till your ears are healed get them checked by a doctor and then try it again personally I’d go someplace where your water training is in salt water and warm if your struggling in a pool. If I had it to do over we would have just made a two week vacation out of it and t would have happened warm and in the ocean.

Thanks lowlysubaruguy ! I was hoping that open water would be easier after I got past the first 20 feet or so. My instructor barely touched on equalizing I think mainly because he doesn’t need to. He told us “don’t wait for me to equalize - I don’t have to” (must be nice !! ). But again, being In a 9 foot pool I literally am equalizing every time I move. Not having buoyancy perfected we are all floating around like manatees. It’s almost brain overload having to manage everything and plug my ears and swallow every minute. I do feel that being able to take some time and walk myself deeper and practice equalizing without having to manage everything else would benefit me.

My instructor barely touched on equalizing I think mainly because he doesn’t need to. He told us “don’t wait for me to equalize - I don’t have to” (must be nice !! ).

I call BS. Physics and anatomy say otherwise. It might be so easy that he does it unconsciously, but he still does it.

It’s almost brain overload having to manage everything and plug my ears and swallow every minute. I do feel that being able to take some time and walk myself deeper and practice equalizing without having to manage everything else would benefit me.

Don't worry. Once you get healthy it will be much easier. The more you do it, the more it will become easy and automatic. The more you practice buoyancy, the less you'll be floating up/down and feel the squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom