New Wing Feature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Tobin,

I just wanted to find out, if someone were to order a new wing or rig from the website, will it come with the cool new OPV you have?

Thanks,
Jason

For those interested here's some pitcures of the New DSS OPV.

It's taken longer than I'd hoped, but I finally finished the last two parts for the "all DSS" OPV.

A popular modification to the OPV on many wings is to replace the thin ~#36 pull cord with a heavier line. This makes finding, grasping and operating the OPV easier, particularly when the "toggle" or ball has been removed from the string.

I have always been reluctant to recommend this modification. Disassembly, drilling holes and tying knots that need melting to fit can be problematic for some.

The Standard "Seat Retainer" found in many OPV's lacks a large enough recess to accommodate the knot on larger cord without interfering with the soft rubber seat.

Here's a shot of a standard seat retainer and a piece of 3mm kernmantle cord. The knot is way to big to fit in the recess.
P1010119.JPG

Trying to fit a large knot in the small recess leads to heating and melting and pushing and swearing and sometimes to cords that break off at the bit of melted knot that's left. Not a good thing.

The solution is a seat retainer with a larger, deeper recess for the knot. Sounds simple, pretty easy part to mold.

Here's a shot of the 3mm kernmantle cord in the DSS seat retainer.
P10101101.JPG

The problem is a deeper recess in the seat retainer also requires a taller OPV "CAGE" or the seat retainer will bottom out on the underside of the cage when the string is pulled.

A new OPV cage is not a trivial part to make, and it's taken me a while to get around to it.
P1010117.JPG

The new seat retainer and cage are produced with string holes that are large enough to pass the 3mm cord without drilling. The new DSS cage is about .100" taller than the standard cage.

I have tested the new cage to ensure the vent holes are large enough to not limit in any way the rate of venting via the OPV. All molded parts of the DSS OPV is Delrin (except the soft seat) and is furnished with black 3mm kernmantle cord.

These new DSS Cages and seat retainers must be used together, do not mix old cages and new retainers or new cages and old retainers.

These New Parts have been shipping on DSS wings for a couple weeks.

Tobin

Yes, all new wings are shipping with the new OPV.

Tobin

Dang it Tobin, I have been wanting to try one of the Kydex plates for a while now, but I have too much dive gear. I have been fighting off the urge to get a full rig and was just gonna order the plate, but I couldn't resist the unique stuff.
Good thing the box is small so maybe my wife won't know it is more dive gear :)

EDIT- Looking forward to checking out the thumb loop too

Last edited:
Looking forward to checking out the thumb loop too
The thumb loop ROCKS! Zoom-zoom descents on the trigger... equalizing ears and plumping the d.s.... without the crazy movie premier light show... and my light perched on my right thumb like an obedient canary. The thumb loop fit easily over my dry gloves.

Beautifully made and smoothly functional.

Thanks, Tobin!!!

~~~~
Claudette

(forgive the short hijack, but you did mention it... :D)

Back
Top Bottom