New Way Diving... Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarach8

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any experience of this dive-resort? Am going to Koh Tao in March for 1 month, and have been doing a little research online. Their packages look really good. Is this one of the best resorts on the island, or are there better ones?

Thanks in advance,

Rach.

New Way is a good, small boutique like dive resort. Simple and friendly staff. It doesn't have all the facilities a large resort has but they come highly recommended by places like lonely planet.

Be aware though, they are always the first boat on the dive site, which means getting up ver early for morning dives :)

You can find out more at www.newwayidc.com and www.newwaydiving.com

I was freelancing with New Way Diving shop for a while and they were good and friendly. Everything the poster above said is true. Especially the part of getting up early for the dives!

Early, right before the sunrise, you'll find yourself meeting other divers in front of the dive center while the nearby bar is still in its night groove with drunk people being their usual obnoxious themselves and bar girls chasing their last chances of picking up customers. I hated that.

Apart from this, everything else was well organized and professional. They are good.

On the other hand, you might be looking into what Big Blue has to offer as well. I suggest you ask for Rich! A great guy whom I met while working with him in Dive Point dive center and now he works for Big Blue. Knows the dive sites very well and is a good instructor. I don't personally know any other people in Big Blue, though.

Both dive centers are on Sairee beach which can be a little loud at night. Annoying if you're not the party type so beware.

In case you're looking for the best organized and most professional dive center on the island that still isn't a mass diver factory you might give the Dive Point center a try. They are in Mae Haad which is 15 minutes away walking distance from Sairee but much quieter at night.

If you feel best not standing out of the crowd, go for Buddha View! Many divers on the boat sometimes mean more fun for novice divers. The owner is a very nice guy who will make sure you have a great time diving on Koh Tao! Highly recommended.

Now, all the people I mentioned here are people I know personally, but I'm really giving you an honest opinion here. I know so many other people on the island as well and I haven't recommended those. It must mean something. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Don't lock yourself in. Just get over there and spend a few days getting to know the island and the shops. After all, there are something like 50 now...

Sairee, Mae Hadd, Chalook, it all depends on what you want out of nightlife and what you want to do when you're not diving. There for a month, so I take it you're planning on enjoying yourself out of the water, too.

Look at DJL (Davey Jones Locker) and Simple Life, too. Both in Sairee (near New Way). Both relaxed small to medium sized. DJL has a new swimming pool and a nice bar poolside. Good staff, too.

Everything else the other two mentioned, I agree with.

Have a good holliday

Back
Top Bottom