New video: Don't Mess with the Frogfish Short Clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adiverslife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Occasionally, we get a little too close to our subjects and this big, beautiful, frogfish (roughly 18cm long) let us know. Needless to say we got out of its way but not after capturing this short video for you. Normally, their defense is their camouflage but when that does not work they put on their scare tactic. Turn up your sound. We filmed this beauty at Bari Reef in Bonaire.

Have you seen this defense mechanism before? Please let us know in the comments.

If you would like to be notified when we release new videos at A Diver's Life please go here and subscribe: A Diver's Life

Yes, in this case it was a warning. I am sure I threatened it but I did manage to keep the video lights turned out a bit so as not to blind it. As you can see the face is not fully lit up. Our lights can be strong to marine life. Shortly after filming this a nurse shark swam by a little to the north.

It’s a pretty common to see Frogfish yawning. I have it recorded also during my last trip to Cocos. You can see it at 9:05-9:10 period in my trip video, below.

Cool video! Just south of some big mooring blocks at about 20’?

Thank you. I entered in at the south side of Sand Dollar and swam north at 60 ft maybe 10 minutes swim north. If it is still there just look for it sitting on that small yellow sponge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom