New Update and Freezing Issues addressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingpyrate

Contributor
Reaction score
As many of us expected the Gopro Black freezing issues had a lot to do with the SD mini cards.
Quality issues with those cards and the resource requirements of the video formats were not getting along well
This new update also enables some nice new features that go along with an updated Iphone and Android app
Also some changes to timelapse.

Looks like a solid update
Have not tried it yet. but will be. Early reports are possitive.
Also click the read more to see what gopro says about sd cards. They are no longer recommending Sandisk Ultra

http://gopro.com/support/product-updates-support

Why is the rum always gone

I don't know whether to be happy or pissed about this news. I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64gb card for my hero3 black thinking it was adequate. For the past few weeks I noticed that it would randomly stop recording on it's own. This past Sunday I did a dive and the damn camera stopped recording about 8 times in the span of an hour. So after the dive I did dome researching on this problem and find out it's the SD card being incapable of recording at high res/frame rates with Protune on. It needs 45mb/s of write speed and the Ultra only does 35mb/s.

So I decide to return my SD card to Best Buy yesterday and apply the credit to the SanDisk Extreme SD micro card with a write speed of 50mb/s. Best Buy was selling it for $199 but price matched it to $94 and I have to wait till it's delivered to the store.

So today I learn of this update, from what I can gather it limits the write speed to 35mb/s with the slower cards, meaning the quality might be reduced a bit. I cant do the update until I get my new SD card anyways.

Rats!:(

I also see they no longer have SanDisk as a recommended card. Screw that, their recommendations were flawed before, so I'll try this new card, it exceeds their required specs.

My understanding is it will throttle down the bitrate on all Sandisk cards
Gopro seems pretty put out with them. I know a ton of cameras were returned and gopro took a pretty big black eye as people were blaming the camera for what turns out to be cards that will not perform to the advertised specs.

I have two 32gb ultras and they never froze on me shooting 2.7k protune
But I think I was just lucky

It is a painful announcement but I think Gopro had to do something. The compromise seems to be the best case for them. Throttle down when the card might compromise the operation of the camera. But on cards known to to perform leave the bit rate wide open.

Personally I am glad they found it, and will just dump my sandisk for Lexor cards

My understanding is it will throttle down the bitrate on all Sandisk cards
Gopro seems pretty put out with them. I know a ton of cameras were returned and gopro took a pretty big black eye as people were blaming the camera for what turns out to be cards that will not perform to the advertised specs.

I have two 32gb ultras and they never froze on me shooting 2.7k protune
But I think I was just lucky

It is a painful announcement but I think Gopro had to do something. The compromise seems to be the best case for them. Throttle down when the card might compromise the operation of the camera. But on cards known to to perform leave the bit rate wide open.

Personally I am glad they found it, and will just dump my sandisk for Lexor cards

You mean I just bought that extra expensive SD card for nothing? AAAAAAAARRRGGH!!!!!

I don't get it, one of the cards they list as recommended (Samsung 64GB SDXC MB-MGCGB/AM) is spec'd to write speeds of only 20MB/s. How the heck does that work?

I'm really hoping that my OVERKILL of an SD card isn't throttled down.

I don't get it, one of the cards they list as recommended (Samsung 64GB SDXC MB-MGCGB/AM) is spec'd to write speeds of only 20MB/s. How the heck does that work?

You're mixing bits and Bytes. The Hero3 Black needs a card capable of 45 Mb/s which translates to 5.625 MB/s so a 20 MB/s card is fine.

And the problem with many Sandisk cards was that a card supposedly rated at 10 MB/s couldn't even keep up with a camera requiring only 5.625 MB/s.

You're right, I was mixing the two.

I wonder if GoPros website has that 45 Megabit/s stat wrong(typo) or all the spec pages are just using either of the nomenclatures. The media info on my raw recordings is: Overall bit rate: 45.1 Mbps, Converted recording: Overall bit rate: 15.6 Mbps exactly the rates I choose to encode.

The new Sandisk I ordered is rated at 50MB/s. I will test it when I get it, before and after the new camera update. I'll just check the recorded files data-rate/second to verify if the camera throttled it down or not.

Last edited:
The only reliable way to know what your card can do is test them, regardless of brand. I went through several Sandisk Ultras that were only around 5-6MB/s despite being sold as class 10. I took them back and got the shop to open up packets in front of me letting me test each card... I had to go through a few more before I got a couple that were even close to 10MB/s. These were genuine cards from a legitimate dealer. Appalling QC on Sandisks behalf.

Exactly, seems sandisk is not doing proper quality control on their minis
I am going Lexar, even though the two ultras I got never froze

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom