New Tourist Tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just read that going through Cancun, Coz, and Playa will now cost $11 American. Anybody know what the government is going to use this money for?

If I remember correctly, Canada used to charge $2.50 American to get out. Is that still a thing?

It's a bit insulting that the Mexican government basically said, "We're charging this because you tourists can afford it." With airfares to Maya Riviera increasing rapidly, other countries opening up, and my wife getting bored of Mexico, we can go somewhere else with our gobs of money.

Phew. Now that was a rant.

One time payment of $11? No big deal. Curacao charges $35 just to go through the airport.

Does it appear they spend that money on development?

I wouldn't mind if the $11 goes to a plumbing system that could handle flushing toilet paper. I'm tired of taking a half-shower after every poop.

Does it appear they spend that money on development?

I wouldn't mind if the $11 goes to a plumbing system that could handle flushing toilet paper. I'm tired of taking a half-shower after every poop.
Sounds like you need more fiber in your diet :wink:

Sounds like you need more fiber in your diet :wink:

Maybe it's just the places I stay at that don't want you to flush the tp.

One time payment of $11? No big deal. Curacao charges $35 just to go through the airport.
This is on top of the $30USD tourist tax already in place. The first time I visited Cancun in the late 80's the tax had to be paid in cash at the airport, USD only and (shocked face here) it all disappeared. The government then forced the airlines to be the tax collectors for them.

This is so going to cut into the "pay the ticket right here" police vig.

For decades, countries have been charging some sort of tax for entering and/or exiting the country. Most of the time it is collected from the airlines/cruise-lines who charged you when the reservations were paid. This is why gate agents (at least when I worked in the airline industry) are anal about getting an accurate head count.

Haven’t heard about the new tax until the OP. The introduction of a new tax is not surprising. When I started working for the airline industry I could fly for free, still had to pay the taxes. In the mid to late 90s the taxes to CZM were $35. By 2002 the taxes were well over $100.

Back
Top Bottom