New to underwater cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have several SLR cameras but I've never made the plunge to underwater photography. I've learned enough to know that equipping my SLR's to go underwater is not in the budget. I've done a lot of research and figured out I want:

1. HD video
2. TTL flash
3. A strobe with a video mode

This way I can get some videos diving and some pictures without breaking the bank.

Can anyone help me narrow down the options? I can't seem to find any cameras that have the TTL flash and the HD video.

The strobe is the easy part, the only one that is currently shipping is the 161. HD Video will be easy, depending on what you think HD means and how you want to trigger TTL. Using optical fibers you can easily trigger many strobes, but for the Ike you might have to go to an electrical sync. a lot will depend on what housing you want. For example a canon g10 or g11 in an ike housing does most of what you want I think.
Bill

I would have bought the G11 already except that for some inexplicable reason, they didn't put HD video in it - grrrrrrrrrrrr.

FWIW, I'd look @ the G10......closely.....& an ext. strobe is not mandatory(to start with anyway)..........

Does the G10 have HD video?

Most of my diving is in poor viz and I assumed I would need a strobe and/or light to get good photos and video. I planned on buying just the camera and then adding the strobe if needed so I guess the only real requirement is that the camera and housing are TTL capable.

Probably not for what you want. FWIW I have seen video from the G11 and on a good screen it is quite nice but still 640x480. Almost any of the new P&S cameras will do TTL either via a fiber optic or via a wired sync cord. The new Panasonic cameras do HD video but I don;t know about a hot shoe for them.

At this time, you will either have to step down to an auto everything pocket camie or move up to a dSLR (some have HD) or wait until the Oly ELP-1 comes out in March to get HD or settle for the two top compacts, the amazing Canon S90 and the solid G11, both are advanced bridge P&S cameras with plenty of photo capability, manual controls and the G11 has wired TTL capability in the Ikelite housing and either has optical sTTL with the Inon D/S series strobes and depending on housing can utilize various wet lenses.

It seems to me in the cameras that offer HD it comes with some severe shortcomings and for video cameras that can take stills they too come with huge shortcomings so you have a choice to make don't you.

Good luck.

N

I want to step down to a do everything digicam. I want to be able to have a flash and do HD video.

Right now, I'm assuming I'll be able to share with my wife. Perhaps I should reconsider and get one video camera and one still camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom