New to U/W Strobes - Leave “On” For Entire Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Very basic question as I am currently on a dive trip and using a strobe for the first time (Ikelite DS51): do I leave the strobe “on” in TTL mode in my case for the entirety of the dive, or should I switch it off when I know I will not be taking photos for a while?

The manufacturer’s Manual does not provide any guidance...

For 1 or 2 dives on the batteries, it doesn't matter. If you are trying to stretch out the batteries for several dives, turn it off. The standby state between shots takes very little power.

Perfect. Thanks! It seemed like a no-brainer but I wanted to confirm.

/thread

I easily get 300 flashes in TTL with a DS51. I only turn it off before I hand it to the boat crew so they don’t accidentally flash themselves.

You will save almost no power at all turning it off.

That's correct unless of course you use the focus light of the strobe. A strobe is made of a battery and a capacitor. Is the capacitor that discharges the current to the bulb not the battery. So once the strobe is charged there is no absorption of current other than any parasite. If the strobe has a focus light and this is on this will absorb current

I've yet to understand strobe focus lights. To use them you have to point the strobe AT the subject. To properly use the strobe you have to NOT point it directly at the subject. Plus, mostly they are pretty weak, lousy "focus" lights. What's the point?

So.....got 'em (they are built in), never used the feature.

I've yet to understand strobe focus lights. To use them you have to point the strobe AT the subject. To properly use the strobe you have to NOT point it directly at the subject. Plus, mostly they are pretty weak, lousy "focus" lights. What's the point?

So.....got 'em (they are built in), never used the feature.

Ha!! Well said, well said indeed.

There are cases where you want to point the strobe at a subject. Backlighting, Top lighting, or using a Snoot on the strobe with the focus light on as a "pointer" are all examples.

i've never had an issue having ttl on 4 x dives a day ( 4 x 70 mins -ish)

i do turn off between dives.

Back
Top Bottom