New to this site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm an old double hose diver from years ago and I'm kinda looking around at getting back into diving with some of my original gear. I see plenty of it for sale on auctions but I don't know anyone who can repair or get me parts for it? This looks like a good place to start. If anyone cares to E-mail me with advice on where to look or who I can contact I would appreciate it.

OldDiverGuy,
Welcome to the board! There are many vintage folks on this site. Dpending on whether your double hose reg is a Dacor or Aqua Lung there ARE several places which can help. Two places that come to mind for vintage Aqua Lungs are Reb's Parts and Vintage Scuba Supply (www.vintagescubasupply.com). For Dacor parts shoot me a PM and I'll send you a gentleman's name which I'm sure can help.

All offer nice parts kits, service options, etc. Both offer nice rebuilt regs, hoses, parts. At first glance don't but lulled into thinking that these rebuilt regs are too costly. That was my first impression upon purchasing a rebuilt reg myself. However, if you examine the quality of work, tuning, parts, etc. to reg's your seeing USED on eBay you'll do yourself a serious injustice. Yes, you will pay more for a rebuilt reg from one of these shops but you'll be assured you'll receive a clean, safe, highly-functional rebuilt reg vs. one on eBay that you have no way of knowing what the insides look like (plus your then have to rebuild yourself and tune).
Many of these guys have been using and tuning these vintage regs for years and know the finer points of how to get them to perform to the highest level.

Good luck, welcome to the board, and drag that baby out and start diving it. Diving double hosers is starting to become 'fashionable' again and certainly is a fun way to dive!

I registered over at Vintage Scuba Supply so I'm waiting to get on that place. Sure is a lot of information going around over there. I also sent an E-mail to someone at a site called Vintagedouble hose. Sorry, I don't know how to put the link to this reply? That site has a lot of parts on it I didn't even know existed!

I think I'll be looking for a Aqualung double hose and maybe a Conshelf. I had both of them but mostly was diving with the Conshelf. The double hose looks much cooler though. Looks like you can get parts for them pretty cheap ?

Old Diver Guy, the other forum at Vintage Scuba is the main vintage forum. There are plenty of parts for old USD regulators, Voit is available and beyond that your own your own mostly. Several places sell both the parts and repair services for Voit and USD. Ask this question on the other forum and you will get to speak with them. The link below takes you to a prime source of repair and parts, there are several others such as the host for the Vintage Forum, Vintage Scuba Supply.

Throw those single hoses and BCs away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't need any of that junk. N

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/

Thats a beautiful rig...which leads me to the following question:

Have any of you guys found that diving without a BC to be a safety issue (specifically: dangerous)?

I'm considering losing the wing on my backplate and making a double hose twin rig as shown but am wondering what the safety issue will be diving w/o a BC be.

I have only been diving for 4 yrs and learned on modern gear only and have never dove w/o a BC in an open water environment.

???

Warning to all concerned, the Double 50 rig as shown in the photos is to negative to dive without a BC. I use a old Dacor Seachute dual bladder horsecollar with this rig in vintage mode and a Dive Rite (Venture?) wing in modern configuration.

Creed, I would dump the single hose if I could stuff two double hosers on there--lol.

Diving without a BC--dangerous?--yes and no. We were taught that way, we use equipment/methods appropriate to it and at least I can swim--very good!! The steel 72 and a very few other tanks are suitable for no BC diving. In some conditions a standard 80 will work. Really, a steel 72 is the only way--there is no equal to it.

Let me give an example, in the beginning shore divers used surfboards, inner tubes etc to use as resting platforms when diving sans BC (since there were no BCs). Now many divers simly tow a small float and flag. The modern diveyak would be a good substitute for a surface support device if diving with no BC.

Diving from a boat or other circumstances must take into account currents etc and your ability to swim. Just because we had no BC did not mean we did not use a Mae West CO2 vest or a variety of other emergency floats when appropriate.

All of this is no longer taught, yes, for such persons diving without a BC vintage style could be dangerous.

N

I didn't dive with a bc at all when I 1st started. I tried one a few times but they get in the way more than anything. I had a Dacor vest with a tire nozzle and a CO2 but later on I had a Scubapro horsecollar. Only used it once or twice. I think it's most important to take plenty of time to get your neutral buoyancy at about 15 or so feet. That's the way I learned it. Sometimes you had to kick down a bit to get there but once you were there you were very close to neutral. That way you are sure you will go up if you drop your weight belt. I just kept a very careful record of how much weight I used with what setup I was diving with.

HI, im new here too, was invited over by Nemrod, who was kind enough to personally answer some questions I had. I dive with "new" gear much or the time, but don't seem to fit the mold too well. The teckies seem to have taken over my sport! I started diving when I was about 13, and learned on a DA aqua master from a guy that thought everyone should learn that way. Im 49 now, and thankful to him for that nugget of wisdom, he was right. I dove with the same reg on a regular basis until last year when some ^%$@*& broke out the window of my truck and took it with him. I hope to replace it soon and get back to it! Having a ball reading the BC stuff as I never use one on a dive with my vintage gear, I mentioned this in another thread and was soundly beaten for it ,funny stuff. Looking foward to watching, and learing plenty here. And Nemrod if you see this, I insured that gold reg for $4000 just incase, thanks.
Dave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom