New to this board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcfrench

Reaction score
My name is Barb and I've been a (hyper)active diver since getting my certification in June 1999. I'm a PADI-certified Rescue Diver, about a month away from finishing my Divemaster certification, and just finishing specialty certifications in wreck diving and nitrox.

I dive actively with my husband Bill (he just finished Divemaster himself -- I'm a little slower because in addition to having a full-time job as a web developer, I run my own web-based business) in a variety of settings; favorite places include wreck diving in the St. Lawrence Seaway, kelp forests of Catalina Island, and the Bahamas and the Caymans. I'll easily finish my 100th dive this season.

I decided to become a Divemaster and then go for my instructor certification because there are no active female divemasters OR instructors locally. Female divers need more role models. I'm tired of seeing women divers who feel they have to depend on their husbands/boyfriends to do everything for them.

Look forward to chatting!

...Barb

A warm welcome from a neighbour. I saw the reference to the lovely St Lawrence - so I popped up your profile (thanks for filling it out, it helps getting to know you). I'm in Ottawa and frequently head to the St L for diving.

Do you have any favourite wrecks? Where on the St L do you go?

I am quite familiar with Ottawa. I went to school in Potsdam, NY and clipped up to Ottawa several weekends. It's a great place!

My new favorite wreck is the Kinghorn, off Rockport, Ontario (http://www.northerntechdiver.com/TomsStuff/kinghorn/kinghorn.htm). Its identity is still somewhat in question, but it's just a fabulous dive. At 75-90 feet with a little current -- though not by Canadian standards <lol> -- it's a bit advanced.

I've done the Keystorm, Lilly Parsons, America, and Gaskin several times. I have a great fondness for the Lilly -- part wreck dive, part drift dive, and great fun. The America got a lot more interesting once I started doing penetration dives; until then it's just an upside down ship without a lot to see.

I'd like to get back to the Daryaw, but given that I often go up with a group from the local dive center and there are often beginners on the trip, we don't go there much. It's usually got a pretty rockin' current, and although I don't mind current, that and the depth are too much for a new diver.

The Muskie is a fun dive. We did the Vicary (sp?) for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I wasn't impressed. It seems to have a worse-than-usual zebra mussel population.

I'd like to get to Kingston and do some of the wrecks around there -- the WOlfe Islander, the George Marsh, the City of Sebogan -- but haven't yet. Have you done any of those? I'd be interested to hear from somoene who has done them.

St. Lawrence Seaway shipwreck diving is fabulous!

...Barb

Originally posted by bcfrench
I am quite familiar with Ottawa. I went to school in Potsdam, NY and clipped up to Ottawa several weekends. It's a great place!
Well thanks, I think it's pretty special too.

I have a great fondness for the Lilly -- part wreck dive, part drift dive, and great fun.
Another fun drift is Lock 28 the current is not as fast as at the Lillie, but you can dift down to the Connie -- so you get two fun easy dives. The only problem you have is co-ordinating the cars at both locations.

We did the Vicary (sp?)
I think you mean the A.E. Vickery It's near Alexandria.

I'd like to get back to the Daryaw.... we don't go there much. It's usually got a pretty rockin' current ....
I'd like to get to Kingston and do some of the wrecks around there -- the Wolfe Islander, the George Marsh, the City of Sebogan -- but haven't yet.
I've not had the pleasure of doing these wrecks - yet. I've had the Wolfe on my list for some time, as I'm told it is very interesting seeing all the "extras" that have been put on the ferry for the entertainment of the divers. We could always team up and meet and do these wrecks (and others) if you're interested. The "gang" I hang with has divers of all levels, all eager for any excuse to dive (like we need one).... let me know
June

I'm happy to say that I wouldn't let my husband help me with my gear, except for the buddy check, when I got certified.

I have noticed that there aren't many female DM's or Instructors. . . Congratulations on your getting certified. I'm going to start more classes after my next trip to Cozumel, and I've told my husband that if he can get his Aircraft Flight Instructors License, I can at least get a DM!

Welcome. -Starfsih

I'm glad to hear someone talk of independence... I am single & have never had "extra help" that I see between some couples & the helping doesn't seem to stop with gear... I know one couple where the husband will actually tow his wife if there is any signifigant surface swim. My thought is that if you can't (or don't want) to get there under your own steam then you shouldn't be in the water. That same couple has had at least two (IMHO) serious incidents related to dependence. I think that one thing that might help is if in open water class, that couples are not allowed to be buddies, or that buddies are rotated every session.

-kate

When I had my classes, the instructor mixed up the buddies ever pool session and even during the OW dives.

I have heard that some DMs split up husband and wife teams whenever possible, if they see one partner not pulling their weight figuratively and literally.

I agree that if you can't do it yourself, you have no business being in the water. -Starfish

An instructor friend of me will split up husband/wife and boyfriend/girlfriend buddy teams during classes if it is possible especially if one or the other is not pulling their weight. She told me that happens more times than you can imagine. She also told me that I would be suprised how many times it happens that one-half of the couple is there "only to please" the other one and really did not want to take lessons to begin with. During OW, she will allow them to dive together during the last dive of the weekend.

Speaking for myself, from the male standpoint, I would not like having a girlfriend (I am single) who could not pull her weight and totally depended on me. Besides not being a good role model for the other women, it would tell me that I could not count on her to help me should things get dicey.

The only time I will make an exception is when we need to haul tanks. I know that it is hard for anyone under 6' tall to carry a standard 80-cu tank by the valve without either lifting it or having it drag the ground. I do get asked to do this from time-to-time by my female buddies (I am 6'2") but these same women are more than willing to carry my gear bag as well as theirs in exchange. In fact, that is the arrangement I have with a current female buddy who is 5'5". She is more than happy to haul gear bags as long as I will haul the tanks. And this is a woman who is a divemaster.

As for DMs splitting up couples, I have never seen that actually done and I am not sure it would be done anyway. There have been times I thought it should have. On my last Cayman trip, there was one couple who held hands the entire time underwater and I am not talking about the casual, strolling, hand-and-hand as you are walking through the park. They practically had death grips on each other. I am not sure if they really enjoyed the dives or not.

I've witness the "partner splitting" on a fair number of the OW dives that occur for certification. I think it's a good thing (arrrg I hate it when I sound like Ms Stewart). Sure the partners are more than like to dive together, but what happens when they don't? I think we're all supposed to exhibit a certain level of self sufficiency, but spitting the partners up, I think the instructors re-enforce the skills we all need as divers. Just my 0.02 worth.

Hi Barb,

First off, welcome to Scuba Board. I am truly glad to see more women getting into the professional level of diving. You are correct in that we need more quality women professionals out there.

I would tend to agree with the practice of splitting up husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend buddy teams during certification. During my open water cert. I saw 2 couples split up this way. Not only does it help each person learn and practice the skills that are necessary to become a good diver, it allows each of them to make new friends of their classmates.

Barb, I noticed that you mentioned women divers "who feel they have to depend on their husbands/boyfriends to do everything for them." In this day and age, that dependence is a choice that they make for themselves. I can almost guarantee that those women diver who are depending on the men in their lives to take care of the diving necessities, are also just about utterly helpless in every other aspect of their lives. I agree with you that there are not enough strong women divers in our underwater world, but the dependent ones are that way because they want to be and nothing you or I do will change that.

Anyway, I'll climb down from the soapbox now. Once again, welcome to the Board. If there is anything you need, just let me know.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom