New to the sport at 51

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timaucoin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello from Calgary, Alberta Canada!
I am very new to diving. I've snorkelled hundreds of times and last year while in Akumal, Mexico, I decided to do a discover scuba course. Well, two dives later I was hooked!!! Came home determined to get certified. Winter came and it was a long one and time flew by fast... I still hadn't taken the course. Well, I did finally sign up in April and did my closed water skills this past weekend and did extremely well!! :D I am hooked even more now. I am booked to do my open water portion on June 10 & 11 in a local lake here (and a cold one apparently... but I am up for the challenge!). We have a trip planned in July with friends (one of whom is certified), and he is itching to get me diving a lot over this holiday to get me some experience. I have no idea where this new found love will take me, but I am just letting it happen and will go wherever my heart leads me in this sport. It is the most freeing and amazing thing I have ever done in my life!!!

I am definitely going to invest in my own gear... likely basic stuff to start with until I see where it leads me. I am looking at the Axiom i3 for my BCD and for regs, from what I've read, the Titan LX regs and Titan LX octo are a good starting point. I already have my computer, mask, snorkel, fins and wet suit!! Hoping to learn lots on this board and would love to hear from other new and experienced members with any advice!! :)

Hey, welcome to the board, to the sport, and to the BEST side of 50! (I'm 52)...

Wait a while before getting gear, at least get certified and do a few dives before you buy equipment. Your own regulators are good to have, but remember that you need to maintain them well, and if you don't dive that often, that might be one of the later purchases.

A good and well-fitting exposure suit is important, especially if you are going to dive locally. If that's the case, you may want to consider a dry suit if it turns out that local diving is something that you enjoy.

The BC is another thing that is a good item to buy early, IMO. Unlike a regulator, there are a lot of personal preferences that go into a BC. If you read threads here, many people (myself included) feel that a backplate and wing is the way to go for divers of all levels and all locations. However, not everyone agrees, so take it slow, dive as much as you can, and read these threads with an open mind.

Congratulations on discovering diving, good luck with your open water dives, and stay safe!

Welcome to scuba, and to :sblogo:! I got certified at 51, and the sport has taken over my life (I turn 60 this month).

It's a great idea to buy gear at the end of your class, once you are sure you are going to like diving, because it makes going out so much more convenient, and the only way you get good at diving is by doing it. But do a bunch of reading here (take a look at a thread entitled, "What did you buy that you regret?") because you will encounter some themes as to what people bought that they later discarded, and you can save yourself a good deal of annoyance and expense by just jumping to the top of the gear evolution ladder at the get-go.

Welcome aboard timaucoin!

Scuba lessons were my 50th birthday present to myself and I don't regret a moment of it, though my bank account might. Started buying my own gear toward the end of OW. Keeping everything serviced and in top shape takes a bit of time but well worth the effort. In fact, it's one way I stay sane (some might argue this point) during long service intervals between dives. That and SB! :D

howdy and welcome from Florida.....enjoy the underwater world. remember baby steps at first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom