New to the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daytona

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I'd say hello. By my handle, my location is easy to figure out.

After a long hiatus, I've started diving again with a big interest in underwater photography.

I considered getting a housing for my N-90 but knowing that sooner or later it would most likely flood and I would need expensive flood insurance, I nixed that idea. After much thought I chose the discontinued Nikonos while I can still get a new one. I ordered it from B&H and it will arrive today. I also ordered the SB-105 strobe and close-up kit. This is a camera I have admired since it was introduced.

This Nikonos may be a bit long in the tooth but I always liked manual 35 mm cameras. Hyperfocal and macro seemed the right way for me to go. I considered the 28 mm lens but chose to start with the standard 35 for use both on the boat and underwater. This combination is responsible for some awesome photographs. I may pick up a wide angle lens if I am not totally thrilled with my results.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi. I'm heading to the Keys soon and hope to bring back a few nice shots. I usually get at least one or two on a roll.

Eric

I'll be the first, then to say Welcome, Bienvenue & Welkommen.

Ther's nought wring with a Hikonos V (I assume you have a V?), though it's not much good for macro & close-up work for things like fish and other critters as they tend to get spooked by the framers.

However, with a Nikonos 15mm or Sea & Sea 12mm lens on they are great for wide angle photography.

Have fun in the Keys and let us see your results when you get back!

regards
Jim

when I say:

Ther's nought wring with a Hikonos

What I mean to say is

There's nought wrong with a Nikonos

I just hav trubul spelin sum ov ther thyme.

Hello,

the Nikonos is an awsome tool in the right hands with the right techniques. I would recomend the 20mm instead of the 15mm as the 15mm takes some extra skill to use. Also the 20mm is cheaper to get. You can get the 15mm really cheap if your in the right place at the right time. If you are interested in the 15mm I would urge you to not consider the sea-sea lineup as the optical quality is not as good as the real thing.

I would have to agree that the Nik is not good for macro, A housed system is far superior for macro.

Ed

Good luck with your new rig. You'll get lots of advice from current and previous Nikonos users.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll save it for the end of the post.

I took the camera and strobe out to my pool this morning. I took about half a dozen shots and had them processed at 1-hour photo. I was just checking it out. nothing fancy, just photos of the drain, light and bottom.... oh yeah, one of my face too.

I am quite happy with the 4x6 results. The detail and resolution is much better than my Canon underwater Sure-Shot. Much better than my Canon Elph 200 too. I would have been quite disappointed if that was not the case.

All I was doing was making sure I put it together right. I also wanted to practice using the manual controls. I'm glad I did as kept forgetting to wind the thing.

All in all, I am quite pleased. For the price, I don't see how I could have done better. The whole outfit set me back $1400 plus the 20mm lens I didn't yet buy.

My only question pertains to the use of the flash indoors. It seems to have about half the power off my SB-26. It makes indoor photography just about impossible.No big deal, I still have my N90 setup for that.

Does everyone else have problems with indoor shots?

Oh yeah, one other question. Anyone have a good idea for a proper case? The three Nikon cases add up to $200. I could possibly get a large case from Wal-mart for $25 and not worry about the salt water. I would like to carry it assembled but I don't think that's a great idea.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom