New to Spearfishing-Going on trip 9/25-my 1st time using a gun and hunting!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year:
As for gun lenth,try different lengths in a shop.If you are under 5'6 a 54" or 60" gun will be very difficult to load.Remember that less than 10% of the spearfishermen shoot over 90% of the fish.Find these people and you will get a free lesson every time you talk to them.Most are more than happy to share tips.A lot of really good shooters are on spearboard and the owner started here asking the same questions some years ago.Ck out my profile or Keys trip photos for my credentials:)
I am 5'3-5'4 and I weigh about 130.

Walter:
Blacks are very smart (for a fish) and difficult to bag.

100% agree my friend!! Over on the Florida east coast every Black and Gag is spooked at 40 feet of a diver sighting and makes a beeline straight for a hole to hide.

Stalking technique and local knowledge are critical. I have to re-visit the same areas repeatedly and approach from different angles to try and get an ambush on them. Lots easier said than done, especially on reck's {lol!}

At 5'4"you may be able to load a 54".Another way you could increase power if reach is the limitation is use more or heavier bands.A 48" will still kill a lot of fish.Good luck,I hope everything is cleared up and fishy for ya'll.

I got a JBL Competition Magnum XHD
36" Shaft track
48" long 5/16" spring steel shaft
Break away rock point tip
3 bands 20" long and 5/8" dia

I've used this gun for years and never failed me.

It' a good starter gun and the aluminum construction makes it cheaper than most wood guns

The best way to learn how to spear fish is to practice first.

First you need good buoyancy control.

Then you have to know what you can shoot or poke.
You need to go to the pier or fish market to see exactly what you can kill. Don't come back to the boat with an Angel fish.

Go with an experienced hunter and watch and help him.
www.parrotislanddivers.com

SuPrBuGmAn:
... I haven't used an actual speargun yet, because my local DM suggested that I start with a polespear in order to get accustomed to depth perseption UW and accuracy. ...

This would be my advice to you as well.

You can reload faster, with a pole spear.

You are less of a hazard, with a pole spear.

You would normally only need a spear-gun for a larger fish with thicker skin, where you need the impact of the shot (in the head) to kill the fish.

For learning, with a pole spear and hunting smaller fish, you do not need to kill them. The spear will keep hold of them fine, while you transfer them to your stringer.

I am really surprised someone would invite you onto a serious trip with no prior experiece, and would recommend a spear-gun. Maybe you should bring a pole instead.

Don't forget to bring a stringer too.

Back
Top Bottom