New to SoCal Looking for Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepy1539

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently moved to OC. Looking for dive buddies and shop/boat recommendations.

Are there any that cater to tech divers in particular?

I do a lot of technical diving off Sundiver (Los Alamitos) and the Marissa (San Diego).

The Marissa has tech drive trips scheduled usually about once/month. The next one is to the Hogan & Missile Tower on Sept 10th and the F-4 Phantom & P-38 on Sept 11th. There are other boats in the area that also allow tech divers (doubles, rebreathers, etc.).

For fills, I get them with DJ Mansfield at Beach City Scuba in Cypress. They can fill pretty much anything you need.

- brett

I recently moved to OC. Looking for dive buddies and shop/boat recommendations.

Are there any that cater to tech divers in particular?
Do you dive open circuit or rebreather? I believe there is a big rebreather community here. Saw many of them on the Sundiver Express boat to Catalina. Open circuit deco dive isn't quite popular. I guess helium is too expensive and I don't find local divers regularly diving air to 150 - 200 ft.

I generally dive a rebreather. Here is a link to my SoCal stuff:

There are all kinds of technical divers here. Some dive deep air, some dive standard OC Trimix blends, some dive rebreathers, etc.

But, you are right, most (but not all) divers want some amount of helium below 150' or so given the conditions (cold water, often dark, current, etc.).

- brett

@dlao I am a CCR diver, it is definitely significantly cheaper to do Trimix dives on closed circuit. The gas bill for doubles hurts.

@beldridg I had stumbled upon your site. Fantastic stuff. Reaching out to you about which operators you use was the next thing on my list. I moved from Detroit, so I was spoiled by all of the wrecks on the great lakes.

I'm signed up to Hogan and Missile tower dive on the 10th. Looking forward to getting out to those sites. I dove the F4 and P38 with the Marissa back in May.

One thing I've learned is that a scooter might be my next big diving purchase.

Thank you both for the information.

@dlao I am a CCR diver, it is definitely significantly cheaper to do Trimix dives on closed circuit. The gas bill for doubles hurts.

@beldridg I had stumbled upon your site. Fantastic stuff. Reaching out to you about which operators you use was the next thing on my list. I moved from Detroit, so I was spoiled by all of the wrecks on the great lakes.

I'm signed up to Hogan and Missile tower dive on the 10th. Looking forward to getting out to those sites. I dove the F4 and P38 with the Marissa back in May.

One thing I've learned is that a scooter might be my next big diving purchase.

Thank you both for the information.

I've only been to Presque Isle but it was fantastic.

I wish I could make the dives on the 10th but I have another commitment. The Hogan is pretty broken up but a great dive. I'm hoping to do a photogrammetry model of it sometime soon.

We recently discovered another P-38 that is a bit north of the one you dove so Lora might start doing a "Double P-38" trip sometime soon.

I have a scooter but don't use it much (but I do hitch a ride with another diver sometimes). For me, a scooter and camera don't really mix well but they are definitely useful when there is current or a larger wreck or you need to search for something.

If you are looking at scooters, send me a PM and I can connect with somebody who might be able to get you a good deal.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom