New to SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
NAUI through Divemaster but I'm beginning a SDI Solo cert class with an incredibly experienced instructor. Just got study materials today. I'm not that familiar with SDI, I see they offices around the world but where did they begin? Will have questions about solo cert later I'm sure.

NAUI through Divemaster but I'm beginning a SDI Solo cert class with an incredibly experienced instructor. Just got study materials today. I'm not that familiar with SDI, I see they offices around the world but where did they begin? Will have questions about solo cert later I'm sure.

Our Story | SDI | TDI | ERDI

Thanks, Jay, but I don't see anything about where it started. The reason that I'm curious is the wording and typos in my manual. Just wondering if it was written in a different language and translated. The info is still great, I just notice stuff like that.

Gotcha, started and Headquartered in Stuart, Florida. The original agency (Technical Diving International, 1994) started SDI as a recreational side of the company. TDI/SDI was purchased by ITI but remained basically unchanged.

Last edited:
SDI was started as part of the original TDI group oriented to tech divers. ERDI was the public safety arm. We rolled all three into an umbrella company of International Training.

SDI-TDI's world HQ is in Stuart Florida. Several years ago the HQ was in Topsham Maine.

The key thing I like about SDI-TDI is that all the HQ staff are divers. It is a company run by divers for divers.

Back
Top Bottom