New to scubaboard also have chiari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all! I've been diving with chiari malformation and had surgery in November 2011! My neurosurgeon said it was fine to dive but I keep reading posts in other places where people say you can't dive! I don't want to die! Has anyone else had chiari decompression surgery and still dive?

Your neurosurgeon said you can continue diving, so stick with it. He's the most knowledgeable of your particular circumstances.

Welcome to the boards.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to Diving Medicine for higher visibility to medical professionals

Hi rodemooney,

There is no necessary reason why a diver who undergoes successful repair of a Chiari malformation without complications could not return to scuba once all healing is complete, the treating neurosurgeon okays it, he feels up to it and is physically fit to do so.

The diver who is cleared for return to scuba will want to carefully monitor any residual signs and symptoms so that the effects of the operated condition are not confused with decompression illness (DCI) or vice-versa.

Also, there is at least the theoretical concern of increased risk of DCI due to disordered spinal blood flow secondary to a history of surgical intervention. While there is very limited evidence for concern, conservative post-treatment dive profiles would be prudent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hello all! I've been diving with chiari malformation and had surgery in November 2011! My neurosurgeon said it was fine to dive but I keep reading posts in other places where people say you can't dive! I don't want to die! Has anyone else had chiari decompression surgery and still dive?

Hi Rodemooney,

A few questions: What symptoms did you have beforehand? Do you have any other accompanying disorders? Exactly what was done during the surgery? Also, along the lines of what DocV was saying, do you have any residual symptoms?

Best regards,
DDM

I'm better since the surgery! Before I had lots of pressure and was unsteady! I feel great! I love diving! Before I had bad headaches now I have few to none! Thanks for all the info and reassuring me!

Great to hear. Concur with what DocV said... there shouldn't be a problem with diving following a complete, uncomplicated recovery for Chiaria malformation. Your particular case may be different, so if you have any questions or doubts, I'd encourage you to see a trained diving physician.

Back
Top Bottom