New to Scuba - New Gear Set Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mencose

New
Reaction score
Here's the deal. I am new to scuba and will be taking the course this coming weekend to become certified (open water). So I understand that my instructer would probaly shed more light on this subject. But I would like to run a thread and see what suggestions people had. So any advice would be helpful.

FYI - I own the mask, fins, boots, snorkel already
Here's the list:(from a dive pro shop, not where I am getting certified I will look into there also [I am aware that that the Dive Shop will service this equipment (easily) if I purchase it there, I was told]

Titan LX regulator - $440.00
Latitude XLT BCD - $450.00
Aladin Prime - $458.002
Gauge Console - $198.00
ABS Octopus - $132.00

Thank you,
mencose

One common comment you will hear is "try before you buy." As much as possible, rent or borrow each item you are considering before you purchase. Those of us that didn't usually end up replacing something we regretted buying. If a shop is selling something, they should help you figure out a way of trying it before they sell it to you. If not, then they should be good about you returning something after you get to try it out. If they can't do either, find a new shop. My LDS rents most of the gear he sells.

I would simply use some rental or borrowed gear to get through your OW class. You will be busy learning and won't have a chance to "play" with the gear much anyway. Once you are certified, go dive as much as possible with rented or borrowed gear until you figure out what you like and don't like. Then, when you do buy, you are more likely to buy what you really want and not what looked good in the shop or online.

Just my opinion. Have fun in your class!

One common comment you will hear is "try before you buy." As much as possible, rent or borrow each item you are considering before you purchase. Those of us that didn't usually end up replacing something we regretted buying. If a shop is selling something, they should help you figure out a way of trying it before they sell it to you. If not, then they should be good about you returning something after you get to try it out. If they can't do either, find a new shop. My LDS rents most of the gear he sells.

I would simply use some rental or borrowed gear to get through your OW class. You will be busy learning and won't have a chance to "play" with the gear much anyway. Once you are certified, go dive as much as possible with rented or borrowed gear until you figure out what you like and don't like. Then, when you do buy, you are more likely to buy what you really want and not what looked good in the shop or online.

Just my opinion. Have fun in your class!

That is excellent advice. I own two or three of alot of gear. If I only tried before I bought.

Another oen for try it if possible, but it is not always possible depending on where you are. But overall the gear you listed are quality gear, and will serve you well. Now it comes down to the fit with the bcd. If you can not try before you buy, make sure you where you buy has a good return policy.

mencose,
That is very good gear, with the possible exception of the octo. But, they are quoting you full retail on every item. Shop around, you can do much better, especially as a package.

Thank you all for sound advice, I will complete the course and see which equipment suits me and shop around. Again thank you all for your suggestions.

mencose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom