New To Scuba Los Angeles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm in Los Angeles and love to scuba. I'm trying to get my wife to enjoy it and she's willing to try mild snorkeling. I want her first experiences to be good. The only place near L.A. that I know of for snorkeling is La Jolla Cove.

I'm seeking something with warm water, tranquil that she can stand up in if she has to. I want it to be a good experience for her.

I'm thinking of just flying to Florida Keys with her.

Anything closer? She's too paranoid to go to Mexico.

Thanks

Tom Falater

Although the water in SoCal is cold she might me able to stand Laguna Beach or Catalina at the underwater park or Lovers Cove. Before I got certified I snorkelled Laguna Beach a lot. There are also lots of sites in Malibu as well as Palos Verdes but they require a bit of a walk from the car and the water is colder than O.C or Catalina.

Catalina is very nice, super friendly fish, easy in/out. Nice place to spend the night and shop, and can be done by foot. How bout a thin wetsuit to keep her warm?

I'd fly the other way for warm tropical fish and shallow snorkeling:

Maui....:wink:

Top 10 Snorkeling Spots in Maui | Best Snorkeling on Maui

Besides these spots, you could book on any of the powered or sailing catamarans like Pride of Maui or Trilogy which offer both diving and snorkeling off the same boat in shallower areas. At sites like Black Rock, she can snorkel above you and watch you dive.

Nice thing about most of them is the entries are sandy beaches - the reef starts less than 100' from shore and is shallow for a long way out. At a lot of them you could probably arrange to dive at the same time - shore based operators like Maui Dreams Dive Co. or Shaka Divers can accommodate both by picking sites with good snorkeling also while taking you diving.

Maybe after a few days she might be interested in a Discover Dive and eventually certify to dive with you? They're not going to take her any deeper than 40' and one site they go to is often crawling with turtles. If you're planning to go soon, the best conditions are now thru fall - winter gets a little choppier.

LaJolla is good but it's not always clear in the Cove. And it's cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom