New to Scuba here in Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshmerlie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just joined the forum here to learn how to get into Scuba. I haven't even signed up for classes yet. But I want to do this the right way this time.

I say this time because 20 years ago I took a two day diving class at a resort in Tahiti with my husband and by the third day they had us 75 feet down. Needless to say it didn't go very well (hubby almost ended up dead) and as you could guess he was more than hesitant to ever suit up again. Well 20 years later my daughter (12 years old) wants to go diving in Australia so we are planning a trip exactly two years from now.

So this gives us two years to take classes, buy our own equipment and get as comfortable as we can before we go on our big trip. No more rushing it. So I would like get pointed in the right direction on where to begin. I do know one thing as far as equipment goes I want to do the full face masks with communication devices. To me it just seems safer. And if we learn on them from the very beginning we should be more proficient when the time comes.

Well that's my story guys...I'm just here to learn all I can.

Welcome aboard here and hopefully to the underwater world!!!!

Yes, there is a bunch of us here in So.Cal. (the best cold water diving in the world.
:D)
Please feel free to drop on down to our local forum and join in the fun here:>>>>> SoCal <<<<
And yes, please don't go with the fast track training but check out the instructor well before signing up.
Check out this link: New Divers and Those Considering Diving and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html
:DHope to see you in the water one of these days (or nights):D

SoCal is a great place to learn scuba. If you can make it here...well, your confidence level in the tropics should be mighty increased.

Most shops will be extremely happy to sell and train you using a full face mask, but I feel you may want to question that decision. If you have the time, hang out with some veteran divers doing shore dives regularly, and feel free to ask questions.

Many divers frequently visit Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach, and Wednesday night's and Saturday mornings are particularly busy. You can even get info on where to train.

Welcome. So Cal (IE) noobie here as well.

I learned in Belize this year with a great team and a few close friends that live there. But I have interacted with some very knowledgeable and friendly dive shops and people here.

Best wishes.

SoCal is a great place to learn scuba. If you can make it here...well, your confidence level in the tropics should be mighty increased.

Most shops will be extremely happy to sell and train you using a full face mask, but I feel you may want to question that decision. If you have the time, hang out with some veteran divers doing shore dives regularly, and feel free to ask questions.

Many divers frequently visit Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach, and Wednesday night's and Saturday mornings are particularly busy. You can even get info on where to train.

Why don't you think the full face mask is a good idea? I've read that it offers certain advantages that I like. For example:
1. Better range of visibility.
2. Allows the use of a communication device so I can keep in constant contact with my 12 year old. Not only in case of emergencies but also to share the experience while we are down there.
3. The one I'm looking at getting also has a built in light at the top of the mask.
4. Safety- If my daughter were to black out for any reason she wouldn't die.
5. Not always having to have a regulator in my mouth just sounds more comfortable i guess.
6. It's gotta be warmer for the face considering I live in Southern California and the water around here is really cold.

I do understand others may not think full face masks to be worth the additional money but to be honest money is not really one of my deciding factors. I just want my family to be able to have the most enjoyable and safe diving experiences possible. So any additional comfort features these masks could provide would be worth it to me.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2014 at 01:36 PM ----------

It's great to find so many people from So California. I'm from Redlands which is the Inland Empire. So I won't have the option of doing daily dives on anything like that but I can see us doing it a couple of times a month. Also, although I do own my own boat I am actually very interested in doing some shore dives. So I want to own everything I would need and not have to rent anything.

I suggested you MAY want to question that decision. In the end it's yours to make. To that end I was trying to provide you with some hopefully unbiased opinions.

Why do you think it's not a good idea? Sorry but you are being a little vague.

Sorry, I'm being intentionally vague. I don't think it's not a good idea. They're just atypical and their use is typically specialized.

I've dived with someone who use one. He hates water, so he needs one. I'm not recommending you don't use them, just that you get as much unbiased info as you can. Hope to see you in the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom