New to Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bradv1993

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All!

Just a quick post to say hello! Brand new to scuba diving, currently doing my PADIOpen Water Course in the UK. :)

Looking forward to getting qualified and continuing my diving!

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Welcome to the sport! It's awesome. Have fun and be safe!

Welcome to Scubaboard and diving! My best advice is dive within your limits, don't take a camera down with you for a very long time (it's better to focus on improving all of your skills), don't buy equipment for a while (most newbies who do often end up regretting the early purchase) and continue to learn (Scubaboard is a great place to do that).

Happy diving!

Welcome from a fellow newbie (on SB, 80 dives is a pittance)!

Like the others have said, stay safe, stay careful, but always remember to enjoy yourelf. I dived quite a bit before buying my own gear, and the only thing I wish I'd bought much sooner was my own exposure protection. As a camera geek, I started diving with a camera 'too soon' (about 30 dives in, only sort of getting a handle on it now), and I don't think having a GoPro on a stick is any less of a danger for the reef or yourself. Strap one on to your mask if you must, but the simple act of moving around underwater is task loading enough when you're getting started.

Have fun!

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA.....

The only thing I would buy sooner rather then later (assuming you end up enjoying diving) would be exposure gear - that stuff NEEDS to fit correctly or you will be miserable. the wrong size bcd or rental regs are tolerable but a wetsuit/drysuit that does not fit right is masochism to the most extreme. You will be much happier with exposure gear that fits instead of being squeezed to death or feeling like you are diving in a wet sponge.

Good Luck - fun times are ahead of you should you choose to accept your fate.

Welcome to the fun zone! Exposure/wet suit was my first purchase, I haven't regretted it for a moment. Wish I had waited a little longer with my computer but not a big deal. Have fun and dive safe.

Glad people spoke up. Totally agree that your own wet suit, fins and a great fitting mask should be an immediate purchase. My local dive shop (LDS) where I got my OW strongly suggested I buy all 3 when I began (from them or somewhere else--it didn't matter) so it never occurred to me that this might not be usual elsewhere. They said having these fit me well would make a huge difference and it definitely did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom