New to SCUBA and want to learn more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

I'm very new to diving, just got my OW certification about 4 weeks ago! I have only dove in Key Largo, Fl and I want to be able to dive elsewhere. Any ideas? I'm also wondering if there is a major difference between PADI and SDI? I know SDI focuses more on using computers than actually knowing dive tables, and its cheaper (which helps because I am living on a college student budget :depressed:). If there are any hints and tips I could learn from I'd love to hear them!

Christine

Who are you certified with? It's probably a good idea to stay within that program for future courses at least initially. Unless you plan to do some tech diving where a program like SDI/TDI may have better offerings.

Being newly certified I'd just go dive for a while. Get 40-50 dives or so so you have a better idea of the type of diving you plan to do then pursue that with the appropriate agency.

I realize the budget is tight so there's some perfectly good $200ish computers available if you decide you need one. Being in Florida are you near a Divers Direct store? They have some good sale prices occasionally. Or Dive Gear Express if you're near Pompano. On some brands your local shop can probably match prices since some mfr's set a minimum price so you get the advantage of buying locally and developing a relationship with them while supporting them also. Somebody still needs to fill your tanks...

advice I give to all new divers. Look at the end goals and work backwards from there. Find out what you want to do with your diving and work backwards. Which university are you at? Let us know a bit more of why you want to dive and we can help offer suggestions of what we would do if we had to do it again

When I dove with Rainbow Reef Diver Center at Key Largo, I bought the 10 trip (20 dive) package, which made for really cheap, guided diving. Be mindful of such package pricing.

Another 'about as cheap as diving gets' option is to do a Blackbeard's cruise; here's T.C.'s report on one to catch you up.

While shallow reef diving in the Florida Keys can be done fine on OW, if you want to move to the deep wrecks, you're going to need the Advanced Open Water certification (AOW).

You will eventually likely want to pick up a nitrox cert., but unless you plan to hit Bonaire or a live-aboard soon, no hurry on that.

When you've got AOW, nitrox & more experience, perhaps a drive to Jupiter, Florida for a different kind of diving would be in order (trip report). On your way you'll pass Fort Lauderdale/Pompano, Boynton Beach (if memory serves) and West Palm Beach, all dive destinations, and be in the region of Blue Heron Bridge.

Hopefully there will come a day when you'll choose to do the Rescue Diver course. Not so much so you can intervene in emergencies (not everyone wants to 'get involved'), but because the teaching will bring added knowledge and mindfulness to your diving that is worthwhile. Even though the course is not about going deeper, staying down longer, etc..., it's one of the most positively regarded courses judging from this forum.

Richard.

P.S.: Where in Florida are you?

Welcome to SB! With respect to agencies, which one you go with doesn't matter as much as the instructor. Find a good instructor that you jive with and keep on moving with your education.

I'm certified with SDI as of now, and I think i'm going to continue with them. I have already signed up for the nitrox course so I can work towards AOW. The end goal (as of now...) are wreck diving/cave diving/and getting rescue diver certified, and potentially dive master if I want to go that far. I'm currently looking at the Wisdom computer as part of a scuba gear package!

I go to FGCU in southwest florida and I've been thinking of using my major with diving (major: bioengineering). I want to dive because so far i really enjoy it, i want to explore wrecks and even take some pictures (so I know i will have to save up for that equipment too). I have lived in florida for 5 years and then moved to Wisconsin for a year and realized that I had so many options in FL that I didn't in WI and I had let them go to waste. So when I moved back to Florida i signed up for a OW class and now I don't want to stop taking courses!

I will look into Rainbow Reef's packages! All of my dives have been with them so far and I haven't been let down!

Thank you all!

P.S. I'm in southwest florida, near Naples!

If you are staying with SDI take the TDI Nitrox class. More info and IMO a better course for the newer diver.

If you are seriously planning on cave and wreck diving stay away from the Wisdom. It's a console computer and you won't see those on serious wreck and cave divers.

If you can't afford 750 bucks, spend 250 on a basic nitrox computer with gauge mode. If you can afford that get a Shearwater Petrel or the new Shearwater Perdix and you will never need to buy another computer for many years.

Buy the wisdom and you'll be replacing it as soon as you talk to a cave or advanced wreck instructor.

There are also some books I'd recommend.
Steve Lewis - The Six Skills, and Staying Alive.
Mark Powell - Deco for Divers
My book that you can find a link to in my signature line below - Scuba: A Practical Guide for the New Diver

A book I found useful is The Complete Diver, by Dr. Alex Brylske, Ph.D. For both historical interest and contemporary practical discussion, a wide range of topics are broken down into concise yet informative little chapters in a pleasant, easy-to-read style.

Richard.

there is a lot of good info for you above.........so I'll just give you the customary.......... "howdy and welcome from south Florida' and just dive, dive, dive.

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant... in both diving and ScubaBoard! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom