New to photos, which camera to choose? (DC1000, DX1200, G10/G11, DX1/DX2, Fuji F50fd)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsavcom

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've read a lot of fabulous posts here comparing cameras, and to be honest they've confused me even more in my decision making process. I was initially only looking at the SeaLife DC1000 and the Sea&Sea DX1200, but through the posts I've also learned about the Cannon G10 & G11, as well as the Sea&Sea DX-1G & DX-2G.

I'm a point and shoot beginnner photographer, and this would be my first u/w camera. For me, this is a large purchase and I don't feel educated or experienced enough to determine what the most important features and benefits are. I'm also under a time crunch as I leave for Australia at the beginning of March.

Based on what I've read, here are some of the things I'm thinking:

DC1000
Concerns
  • Focus on the lens is a little closer (described as tunnel vision)
  • Black edges with wide angle lens (may be due to not putting lens on underwater)
  • Lesser quality video than DX1200
  • Can't zoom in video mode (conflicting information on this point)
  • May be a poor quality manufactuer of the actual camera (Minox)
  • Some posts indicate major flooding problems
  • Not sure of the quality as a land camera
  • Can't switch between still and video underwater (conflicting information)
  • Delay in shooting the picture

• Easy set up mode
  • Better battery than DX1200
  • 5X optical zoom
  • Do the filters eliminate the need for a strobe?

DX1200
Concerns
  • Poor batter life
  • No color filters
  • No easy set up mode
  • 3X optical zoom
  • Strobe arm is not flexible (not sure if this is really a disadvantage or not though)
  • Not sure of the quality as a land camera
  • Only has 3X optical zoom

I haven't found many reviews of the DX1200 and I haven’t done much individual research on the other cameras yet. Can anyone help focus me on what I should be considering and which is the best choice please?

Thanks so much!
d

Last edited:
The DX1200 is not especially well reviewed because it is a plain jane P&S with no manual capability in a cute case.

The DX-2G sounds at least on parer to be be a good camera and several people use them with great results, great results being defiend as they are pelased with the results.

It is the middle of Feb. and you are going on a trip in two weeks and you would need to order the equipment NOW and you don't know what you want and you want somebody to tell you what to get :idk:

OK, I am game:

Canon S90 in FIX case with UCLS tray and Inon S2000 strobe(s)

Canon G11 in FIX case with UCLS tray and D2000 strobe(s)

DX-2G kit camera

Canon S90 in Ikelite case with dual Ikelite AF35 strobe/tray and Ikelite WAL-20 lens

or-----

Get something cheap like a Sealife Mini Reefmaster, have fun on your trip and when you get back research and invest wisely.

http://www.backscatter.com/underwater/photo/package deals.lasso

Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Camera Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Good luck, enjoy your trip.

N

It is the middle of Feb. and you are going on a trip in two weeks and you would need to order the equipment NOW and you don't know what you want and you want somebody to tell you what to get :idk:

Come on, Nemrod, sell or rent him one of your soon-to-be-neglected A570 setups. He doesn't have time to learn anything more complex, and he won't have to cart anything but the camera and housing to Australia.:)

Thanks everyone, appreciated. This is a spontaneous trip, so I didn't have the time to plan like I'd like to. Oh well, can't turn down OZ just cause I'd like more time to plan, now can I? :)

Just to add, the filters dont eliminate the need for a strobe. They only filter color, what you need is more light. Might help the experts too if you tell them your budget. :)

Thanks for the clarification Boogs! Appreciated. I'd say my budget is aroung $1000 - $1500. That being said, if I do some research and realize that I can get way more by spending just a little more, then I'd be open to that too.

I ended up finding a case for my camera on ebay (a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 - which I LOVE for land...we'll see how it is in water), so I went with that instead of rushing this decision. I will buy a camera for diving, but I'd like to have some time to make a solid decision about it. We'll see how this works out for now.

Thanks everyone!
d

Back
Top Bottom