New to forum- Making friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yomonk1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all! I just found and joined the forum tonight and enjoying all the posts and ideas. Me- 38 AOW/EAN with 100+ dives, mostly when I was living in Maui, She- 37 new OW diver just finishing cert. We're looking to have some fun in our down time and get together for some dives local around SWVA. No dry suits, so warmer water preferred. She is doing her OW at Pepper's Ferry in Radford on the New River. Interesting dive since these are my first fresh water dives. I guess I've been spoiled...back to reality.
But in fact, Peppers Ferry is a preyy fun dive when the viz is over 5 ft. The bottom temp was about 73 last week so not too bad even in my shorty.

Keep me informed and entertained and hopefully I'll meet a few of you over the years and we"ll become dive buddies. Also looking to join a local club and become a little more active in that as well. Any ideas?

hey, I dont think Ive seen anyone mention peppers ferry bridge on here before. Thats where I did my OW too. You're right its a fun dive, I love the low viz. maybe I'll see you down there when I head back to Tech in the fall. The SCVT spends lots of time at the bridge.

Here's a link to the map of the bridge Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Peppers Ferry Bridge There used to be a dive map of the SCVT website but I cant get it to pull up. James Mentz made it very detailed in 2000 and I'm sure a few things have changed by now but it still serves a very good purpose. Basically its along the New River in Radford, past the Radford Arsenal. I've also been reading reports that the bridge over the site is due for reconstruction by 2010. I can just imagine the havoc that is going to wreak on the dive site.

Wow, the idea of diving the New River that far up toward Claytor Lake would bug me. Not sure if they still do it, but back in the day they would open the spillways each day and depending on how much water was in the dam the river could rise 5 feet in 30 mins. Knew a guy who drown down on the rocks past the tube rental place and I had a couple of scares after wading out fishing.

Hey yall,

I live in blacksburg and Dive the peppers ferry bridge atleast 2 times a month during the warm part of the year. The dumping of the dam water is no big deal. I've dove there right before, during and after. If anyone is up for exploring it sometime let me know. On saturday the vis was about 15 feet and temp was 75, comfy in a 3mm and hood.

Oh and the max depth I've found is is 45'.

Back
Top Bottom