New to diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbarrett98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got my open water certification and I’m stoked! Want to plan some dives but not sure how to connect with people and find buddies. I live in CA and will be in Florida at the end of November so I would love to be able to connect with people if possible to plan some dives. Any advice or anyone willing to connect!?

I would imagine that in no time you will be inundated with offers of connection in the wonderful lifestyle of diving

For me too much time has passed and is as great as is my distance, also my imaginary Learjet is down for service

Congratulations

I'm looking for a buddy to do what I'm calling the Dive & Disney trip in September/November
1.) Blue Grotto
2.) Devil's Den
3.) Paradise Springs
4.) Disney’s Epcot DiveQuest
5.) Any other FL dive locations

I'm looking for a buddy to do what I'm calling the Dive & Disney trip in September/November
1.) Blue Grotto
2.) Devil's Den
3.) Paradise Springs
In Florida? I would love to connect and hear about what you’re doing!

1.) Blue Grotto
2.) Devil's Den
3.) Paradise Springs
If you’re doing any dives at the end of November I would love to be apart if you’d be willing to take on a beginner like me . I’m so excited to explore and learn more as I go and would love any opportunity to do so.

Cool, we're neighbors! PM me if you'd like to trade contact info.

For meeting other dive buddies and finding groups to dive with, here's what I've got:

If you're willing to get up early on Saturdays, drive down to Laguna, schlep your gear down some stairs and do a bit of a surface swim, sign up for the email list for South Coast Divers: Scuba Diving with South Coast Divers

If you can get to Pasadena by 7pm on the second Tuesday of the month, there's Sole Searchers Dive Club: https://lars9559.wixsite.com/sole-searchers
The members informally organize local shore dives and day trips to Catalina, and the club arranges an annual dive trip someplace cool (I think it's supposed to be Cozumel this year.)

You can also book a spot on a Sunday day boat and either bring a buddy or get paired with someone on the boat here: Southern California's Boat Diving Schedule - Online Reservations

I've had great experiences with all of the above. FYI, wherever you dive, you'll likely find yourself surrounded by much older men. I'm 35, and I'm still often the youngest person and/or the only woman in a group, but I'm OK with that.

There are regional sub-forums here, just scroll down

You should look into the SoCal & the Florida regional subforums (I think there are several representing different areas of Fla.). Post in there, you should be able to find buddies.

I also use the Meetup.com website and app to find buddies & arrange dives. There are several Meetup dive groups up here in NoCal, I would imagine there are several in the SoCal area. Sometimes folks arrange group dives that are newbie friendly too. I also used Meetup to arrange a local buddy in Oahu, you can do the same for Florida.

There are several Monterey area facebook scuba groups, there are probably some in SoCal too. I find buddies that way too.

Enjoy your diving!

Want to plan some dives but not sure how to connect with people and find buddies.

I am a new diver in your shoes. We called local dive shops to learn about the “fun” dives at different bodies of water. We have gone out with two different lds and met other divers. From those dives we also got connected with a somewhat local scuba club. For my wife and I, we just had to commit to going. In fact as I type this my wife is telling me I never told her I got a babysitter lined up so we can go do a fun dive with a different shop next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom