New To Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingNovice

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,
After years of not having enough time for a new hobby i'm finally taking the plunge next week with my first Scuba course. Quite nervous - any tips?

DN :)

Hi guys,
After years of not having enough time for a new hobby i'm finally taking the plunge next week with my first Scuba course. Quite nervous - any tips?

Enjoy the wonder of the experience. Speaking from my own experience 30 years ago, keep in mind that as a hobby, this is one that requires that you acquire a set of skills in what for most people is an unfamiliar environment (most people live their aquatic lives in the tub, splash zone at the beach or water park). Different people acquire these skills at various rates, some faster than others. Don't get frustrated if it seems that others are doing better. Stay the course. It is not a race. Keep us posted on how things are going.

enjoy the experience and dive dive dive till it becomes second nature.. then you can really enjoy the experience.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Exhale, inhale & relax.

Good Luck & Good Diving!

Things I wish I'd been told before my OW class (and things I've learned in the short time since):

1) Your first couple of breaths underwater in the pool will probably feel...odd, for lack of a better word. That's normal. It takes a little time to adjust your mind.
2) Mask skills (including remove and replace) are no big deal whatsoever. I got all psyched out for nothing.
3) Buoyancy control is CRITICAL. Work hard at getting yourself neutral. It's important.
4) Follow the same routine in setting up and checking your gear, every time. Don't skip steps. If you aren't comfortable with the results of a check, stop. Correct the problem or ask your instructor.
5) If you run into a problem underwater, stop. Breathe. Think. As long as you have adequate breathing gas, all else is secondary.
6) Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

And lastly...carry a plastic grocery bag in your kit. Use it to slide your feet into your wetsuit. And putting on a damp wetsuit (or a dry wetsuit on a damp body) sucks. ;-)

-Mark

Thanks for the great advice. I suppose it's like any technique you master slowly - no running before walking!
Will keep you posted on how it goes and ask about equipment in the future
DN :wink:

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2013 at 04:03 AM ----------

Thanks for the tips Mark. I think the part I'm most nervous about is the first point you mention - getting used to breathing underwater. I'll let you know about the other points once I start.
Again, I really appreciate your answer.
DN :cool2:

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2013 at 04:04 AM ----------

Thanks - hopefully it will all go smoothy
DN

What agency are you doing your ow with?

I did my ow in January of the year with ,y wife. I read lots of posts and tried to focus on the near kiss area so that I could get an idea of what could go wrong. I felt that the reading of posts was helpful. Also as with everything your read it is someone's opinion and not always perfect but let's you see other people's events and what they have been thru

Most of all just enjoy it and have fun. Blowing bubbles is an addiction.

I can't see where you are located on iPad. Where are you located?

Hi,
I'm located in Gibraltar which has some really impressive wrecks. This was part of the reason why I got into diving in the first place. I did an initial session this weekend and it went really well - just a bit confusing to remember all the equipment and safety protocols but I guess that's really important in a sport with such risks.
Thanks for your advice mate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom