New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DESIGNERDIVER

IS IT SUMMER YET?
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I am scheduled for my checkout dives for late december and have some general questions. I was hoping some of you could share with me how you felt during your certification dives, what skills were a challenge for you, and also what skills you were dreading but maybe turned out to be a cinch (LOL) i am very excited but also very nervous about "the unknown"
thanks in advance for all your help:D

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Here is a post I made that may get you started.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3948928-post1.html

ScubaBoard is a great resource for learning, good for your for asking the question here.

I recently got certified (October) and honestly I was not really concerend about any of the skills. For some silly reason I was more concerned about how I looked in the 7 mil black (form fitting/form smashing) wetsuit than I was about the diving. I guess I figured that there has to be somebody that mastered this skill who was worse off than me at some point. :rofl3: Plus I knew that my dive instructor was going to make sure that I did not die so I was ok with that. Once I got to the dive site and in the suit, I realized that all of the other divers and class mates were not paying any attention to how I looked as they only wanted to talk about visability and water temp.

Once I got in the water I was rather giddy and ended up having a great time. The only thing that I struggled with was remembering not to hold my breath (it is underwater afterall). :no: Making the ZZZ (or AHH) sound took a few reminders from the instructor but I caught on. :D

Just remember that you did all of the skills in the pool and you can do it in the water. Wherever you are doing the checkout dives is really just one big pool and there will be so many people there keeping an eye on you that there is no need to be nervous or concerned. :wink:

DD,
Welcome to Diving and welcome to the board!

As a rule, if you got it right in the pool, it will present no problems in open water. You will be a bit deeper than you were in the pool ( 30ft range), which actually makes bouyancy control easier. You'll do the same skills (except Free flowing regulator and don/doff bcd/weightbelt underwater), in a different environment. A way cooler environment if you ask me.

The first checkout dive is mainly just a dive so you can get comfortable in your gear and the new environment. Dives 2-4, you start the dive with the skills, then go for a dive on the Fla reefs. Way Cool.

If there are specific skills that have you concerned, or you want to know more about Key Largo diving, feel free to PM me, or post it here so everybody can kick it around.

BTW, If you are as comfortable in the water as your profile pic indicates, you will have no trouble at all!!

Key Largo is my personal favorite spot for diving and teaching. The boats are top notch and the crews will give you lots of help.

When I got certified I wasn't worried about any mask stuff, I wasn't worried about the gear, I wasn't worried about my ascent rates, or getting lost or dive planning or buddy checks or gas management... I probably should have been, at least a little.

Teamcasa posted an excellent 'first dive' report that really is a pretty common scenario for new divers venturing out on their own. The new divers I come in contact with are rather confident since they know I'm right there to take care of them. I think the biggest concern new divers SHOULD have is 'Do I feel adequately prepared to do this dive, with a classmate or someone of equal training, WITHOUT someone looking over my shoulder?' It's possible the answer is, no. If that's the case then it's time to either go back to your instructor and explain your concerns or make sure that you're working with an experienced diver who can help you to get there.

If you have concerns, make sure you're explicit about them. "I'm not sure I could do this by myself" will likely have someone give you a pep talk about how you learned what you need to know and you'll be fine. If you say, "I don't remember learning about how to plan my dive with regard to air consumption" then you'll get (hopefully) an informative explanation about gas management. The more specific your questions, the better information you'll get back.

Oh, and read the boards, there are gems all over!

Rachel

Welcome. Watch out for lurkers.... :stalker:

I remember worrying about staying warm. (It was November in a Texas lake...that's "BRRRRR" for this ol' boy!)

DD,
Welcome to Diving and welcome to the board!

As a rule, if you got it right in the pool, it will present no problems in open water. You will be a bit deeper than you were in the pool ( 30ft range), which actually makes bouyancy control easier. You'll do the same skills (except Free flowing regulator and don/doff bcd/weightbelt underwater), in a different environment. A way cooler environment if you ask me.

The first checkout dive is mainly just a dive so you can get comfortable in your gear and the new environment. Dives 2-4, you start the dive with the skills, then go for a dive on the Fla reefs. Way Cool.
P
If there are specific skills that have you concerned, or you want to know more about Key Largo diving, feel free to PM me, or post it here so everybody can kick it around.

BTW, If you are as comfortable in the water as your profile pic indicates, you will have no trouble at all!!

Key Largo is my personal favorite spot for diving and teaching. The boats are top notch and the crews will give you lots of help.

Thanks to all for their input!!
pat I have a specific question for you since you are an instructor(right in my own neighborhood no less LOL I am in suffolk county BTW) anyway, I was under the impression that part of the skills tested would be the free flowing regulator (this is the one I am most nervous about). Am I reading your post wrong or is this something I will NOT have to do?:nervous:

I recently got certified (October) and honestly I was not really concerend about any of the skills. For some silly reason I was more concerned about how I looked in the 7 mil black (form fitting/form smashing) wetsuit than I was about the diving. I guess I figured that there has to be somebody that mastered this skill who was worse off than me at some point. :rofl3: Plus I knew that my dive instructor was going to make sure that I did not die so I was ok with that. Once I got to the dive site and in the suit, I realized that all of the other divers and class mates were not paying any attention to how I looked as they only wanted to talk about visability and water temp.

Once I got in the water I was rather giddy and ended up having a great time. The only thing that I struggled with was remembering not to hold my breath (it is underwater afterall). :no: Making the ZZZ (or AHH) sound took a few reminders from the instructor but I caught on. :D

Just remember that you did all of the skills in the pool and you can do it in the water. Wherever you are doing the checkout dives is really just one big pool and there will be so many people there keeping an eye on you that there is no need to be nervous or concerned. :wink:
congrats lucky on your certification!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom