New to diving, need help with a few questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

illlumin8

New
Reaction score
Hey, I am new to scuba diving and I am actually still finishing my classes. I just had a few questions about equalizing ear pressure. During my first pool session I was unable to clear or equalize the pressure in my ears. While doing the different drills and safety prodedures in the semi shallow part of the pool I was fine. At the end of the session, we all went to the deep end and I tried equalizing the pressure the whole way down, once I got to the bottom which was only 10 feet, the pressure in my ears started to become painful. It was not a unbarable pain, but it started to hurt non the less. Once reaching the top I was fine. The next day my right ear felt odd, not painful but different, by the end of the day it was fine. Am I going to have problems diving later on because of this? I told my instructor about this and he thought that I might have been slightly congested. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for equalizing the pressure? If anyone has any information on this, please let me know, I have searched around on the internet and found a few different methods for equalizing, but I would like to hear from experienced divers. I just hope that this does not stop me from being able to dive.

Also, I am trying to research different equipment before I purchase any for myself, can anyone give me some recommendations on brands or specific products for BC's, gauges, computers, regulators and other equipment.

Thanks for your help.

Many people have ear trouble when they first start.
If you do a search on "ear video" or "ear trouble" or even "ear fear" on this board you will probably find a bunch of threads.
In most of them you will find a post by me that gives a URL for a streaming video lecture. Watch the video and see if it answers some of your questions.

It gets easier and more comfortable with practice.

Welcome to diving and to scubaboard.

illlumin8:
Hey, I am new to scuba diving and I am actually still finishing my classes. I just had a few questions about equalizing ear pressure. During my first pool session I was unable to clear or equalize the pressure in my ears. While doing the different drills and safety prodedures in the semi shallow part of the pool I was fine. At the end of the session, we all went to the deep end and I tried equalizing the pressure the whole way down, once I got to the bottom which was only 10 feet, the pressure in my ears started to become painful. It was not a unbarable pain, but it started to hurt non the less. Once reaching the top I was fine. The next day my right ear felt odd, not painful but different, by the end of the day it was fine. Am I going to have problems diving later on because of this? I told my instructor about this and he thought that I might have been slightly congested. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for equalizing the pressure? If anyone has any information on this, please let me know, I have searched around on the internet and found a few different methods for equalizing, but I would like to hear from experienced divers. I just hope that this does not stop me from being able to dive.

Also, I am trying to research different equipment before I purchase any for myself, can anyone give me some recommendations on brands or specific products for BC's, gauges, computers, regulators and other equipment.

Thanks for your help.
Your instructor should have showed you several methods for clearing your ears. I've had the same trouble that you did. I find that *for me* if I hold my nose, blow and flex my jaw it usually causes my ears to equalize. Make sure you never go past the pain. You want to stop when you feel any squeeze and ascend a couple feet and try and clear again. Another thing I do is start practice clearing my ears the day before a dive. And I also clear on the surface right before I descend, then every couple of feet whether or not I feel like there's any pressure. One nice thing is that the deeper you go the less difference a couple of feet make. In other words the difference in relative pressure at 10 feet and 12 feet is greater than at 50 feet and 52 feet.

illlumin8:

Thanks for your help.

Equalizing will get easier with experience. It takes a while for you to learn how your own ears equalize. If you feel squeeze you need to stop descending immediately, ascend a few feet, and make sure you can equalize. It is more difficult to equalize when you are feeling squeeze actually. Don't try to equalize quickly like with a blast of air - plug your nose and "blow" slowly and gently - take your time. You will feel and/or hear the air pass through your inner ear. When I am descending straight down I equalize with just about every breath.

Be aware of your ear pressure when ascending. If you feel pressure build that does not release - same drill - stop ascending - go down a few feet - and try to remedy.

Don't dive if you are congested. I don't dive unless I can breath through my nose (perhaps obviously but I will assume nothing for the moment).

In terms of gear - if I knew then what I know now....I would start out with the purchase of a back plate and wings. Should you ever get into tech diving you will need this equipment and you may want it for advanced recreational. It's like buying something with more horsepower - you may never need it or use it but it's there should you want it. I would suggest you get a back plate that has slots cut that allow for a single tank. You would want to get a wing designed for a single tank. This system costs the same as a recreational BC but can be upgraded to anything you will ever need. It is not more difficult to use and is very streamlined.

I would also suggest you purchase regulators based on printed performance data AND service and parts availability. For example, Scuba Pro regs come with lifetime parts. Each year when you get your gear serviced you will get the parts for free (about $30-$40). So each year your cost for the reg goes down by $30-$40. There are other reg manufacturers who offer this as well. Atomic is NOT one of them as an example. Awesome regs but extra $30-$40 each year for parts. Check your local dive shops to see what equipment they sell and service.

If you live in a cold water area - buy a drysuit. I bought a custom fitted wetsuit for $450. A few years later I bought a drysuit for $750. 2 seconds into my first dive with the drysuit I knew my $450 was a complete waste of money.

Keep in mind a shop will sell you what they have. Do your research then go to a shop based on what you want, not what they want to sell you.

Sort of a long email this morning....but I hope it helps.

--Matt

I have recently finished my open water cert and had similar problems clearing while descending at first. I found that by swallowing and working my jaw I amable to clear easily. However, I have the same problem after getting out of the water as you do and have not been able to get my left ear to clear in 2 weeks for an extended period (it clears and may stay clear for an hour then right back where it was before.) I hope I can find out how to deal with this because it is annoying but won't keep me from blowin' bubbles again.

You're trying to use muscles that you don't normally use. Like any muscular activity, it gets easier with practice. So I'd recommend practicing early and often.

Try clearing your ears while driving to the pool ... gently. Try clearing your ears while gearing up ... gently. Try clearing your ears before putting your head underwater ... gently. Do it again as soon as your head goes underwater ... gently.

Once you start to descend, clear often ... as soon as you feel the slightest bit of pressure. If you feel pain ... even a little bit of pain ... stop descending. If you can't clear by gently applying the valsalva maneuver, ascend a little bit and try again.

NEVER force a clear ... you might actually succeed, but you run the risk of a reverse block on the way back to the surface, and those are not fun.

NEVER continue to descend if you have difficulty clearing to the point of experiencing pain ... not even a little bit of pain. Instead, stop and ascend a little bit till the pain goes away ... then try to clear. If you cannot clear, give your buddy the thumb up signal and begin a slow ascent.

Remember ... there's always another day to dive. If you're having trouble clearing, don't risk injuring yourself for the sake of continuing the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pipedope:
If you do a search on "ear video" or "ear trouble" or even "ear fear" on this board you will probably find a bunch of threads. In most of them you will find a post by me that gives a URL for a streaming video lecture. Watch the video and see if it answers some of your questions.

Pipedope - the word "ear" is too short for our Search feature. You might give him the link... :D

Go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html

Watch the streaming video;
"
Streaming Video Lecture
"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"

Scuba diving and snorkeling can be fun ways to explore the depths - especially if you can clear your ears as the pressure changes. In this video lecture Dr. Edmond Kay discusses techniques for preventing middle ear barotrauma. Learn what to do to equalize pressure in your ears, teach others proper techniques and learn the safest way to prevent "ear squeeze". This talk was recorded live in September, 2000 and is now available for Internet viewing over the University's video portal .
"

The video will answer many questions and will show you pictures of what is going on when you equalize. It is well worth your time. I am ot going to say how many times I have watched it but it is more than twice. :D

Pipedope has a good link.

Try this link also:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/index.asp

Scroll down to Ear, Nose, Throat; first article discusses your issues. (And a few others.) May not answer all your concerns, but offers different places to continue researching.

Rest assured, it generally gets easier over time.

Doc

Thanks to everyone for all your help. The video link really helped, I actually watched it right after my first post from a link in another topic. I think I figured out my problem though. Yesterday I went to the doctor just to check out my ears to be on the safe side. I found out I have a minor ear infection. I don't think it was caused from the diving, my guess is I had the infection before I went diving and that is why I could not equalize my ears. I am on medication for it now and it should clear up before my next pool session and the doctor said I should not have any problems after that. I was getting worried since I spent all this money on my classes and equipment and thought I wasn't going to be able to dive. Thanks again for everyones help, the different methods were really helpful and the video was great.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for equipment or specific brands, please let me know. I want to be informed as possible before purchasing anything. I already have my fins, mask, snorkel, and boots but if anyone could let me know their preferences for BCs, regulators, gauges, computers, etc let me know.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom