New to Diving - Cornwall / Long Sault

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That comp was one of the better recommend ones when I did my research. One of the main reasons I didn't end up picking that one is because of its display tech. I wasn't entirely confidant the display would be readable in bright sunlight. Do you have this comp? If so what do you think of it - specifically its display in direct sunlight?

Yes I have a Perdix (and a Petrel) and my my wife has the Perdix AI. Would definitely recommend this computer to anyone and the service (if ever needed) is great. No problems with the display in bright light diving (defaults to auto adjust brightness). Also if you are planning/thinking of advancing your diving in the future this computer will definitely grow with you.

Nope not been to lock 21 yet. I've only dove Ivy Lea, Centeen park, and Cardinal (the Conestoga).

@mddolson was recommending the Wee Hawk. Takes a little organization but I like doing Wee Hawk, Lock 27, Conestoga.

You need to go to the Legion Way. Drive pass the Legion and down the peninsula. Just before the peninsula narrows down, you can park a car on the side, off the road.

Leave one or more cars on the peninsula (near the Conestoga). Drive everyone back to the Highway 2, go left toward Galop Canal Road. Turn left onto Galop Canal Road until you get to the bottom. There will be parking on the right (and an outhouse). Walk across the foot bridge, over Lock 27. Walk to the right and you'll find the remains of Lock 28. This is a good spot to walk into the water. The Wee Hawk will be right there. It is sticking up out of the water. So you can see it.

I would then go to the Wee Hawk, explore it, go north to Lock 27. Drift down Lock 27. Keep to the bottom and close to the south wall on your right. This way you avoid boat traffic. I don't bring a float and flag. It is just something for the boats to hit.

As you drift down Lock 27 (around 15 feet), there will be an opening on the right (south) to the St. Lawrence. The current will want to pull you through the opening. Let it. It will get a little shallower than 15 feet. Once you clear the opening it will get deep again. Go to 20 feet and let the current take you to the left (east). Stay at 20 feet and it will take you to a radiator with a plaque. There will be a line on the radiator. Follow the line to the Conestoga.

You want a car at the Conestoga so when you finish the drift, you have a car to take you back to the other car at Lock 27.

I'd second @JohnRom suggestion to rethink your dive computer. I used to use Suunto (computer and compass) but I switched to Perdix AI and use the built in electronic compass. If you consider the price of the Suunto Vyper, compass and transmitter you can get the Perdix AI for $300 more you can get the Perdix AI. Or for $500 more you can get the Teric (like the Perdix AI but a watch style computer).

The desktop software for the Shearwater products is a lot better. I often had issues with the Suunto software. The software on the dive computer is WAY more intuitive. The display is a lot nicer too. Finally, Shearwater is a Canadian company. If you have issues, easier to get them resolved.

I had issues with one of my Suunto (I had three) and working with Suunto was a major pain.

I can second everything @JohnRom is say about the Shearwater computers. Additionally, as @JohnRom says, get an analog pressure gauge as a backup to the transmitter. If the transmitter ever fails (e.g. battery dies), it is good to know how much air you have in your tank.

Tom Scott of Underwhere? Charters runs a fun "Newbie Tuesday" dive every Tuesday night at 6 PM. The boat leaves from the dock off Bayview Road in St. Lawrence Park in Brockville, ON exactly at 6 PM and you get a 1 hour run time. Actually 59 minutes 59 seconds before golf balls rain down on you. We always do the Robert Gaskin wreck, but this usually means either drifting into it or drifting off it or both. Many of us highly experienced divers go out to mentor the newer divers and hang out in a relaxed setting like bringing the pub atmosphere to the boat. It's a great way to make new friends and dive buddies. Charter fee is $30 CDN.

Great feedback everyone :)

I ended up getting the shearwater perdix ai today and am very pleased with it.

I will definitely be checking out the seaway club and Tom's charter as both sound great :)

As far as wetsuits as wetsuits are concerned BARE, is my recommendation.
Made in Canada, BC.

As far as wetsuits as wetsuits are concerned BARE, is my recommendation.
Made in Canada, BC.
What to you is the advantage of one of these suits over say Scubapro (other than they are made in Canada which I like)?
Do these suits run hotter than normal suits? I.E. would a 5mm BARE be hotter than a 5mm Scubapro? I guess a better question would be specifically which of the BARE suits do you use and what temps do you normally dive with it?

In general I'm a year round diver. So I want a suit that's warm, durable & flexible.
If you want to dive in the Gulf of St Lawrence (Les Escoumins, P.Q.) the water is 2°C all the time)
The St Lawrence spoils us, it's a mix past the thousand islands & above 20° right now.
Any of the great lakes below the thermoclines are 5-10°C, & all are 2-5°C at surface May 24th weekend.
It has been my experience that Bare , Whites, Atlan or Abyss suits are just better made suits, because that's what they do (make diving suits). Scuba Pro or Mares or US Divers etc out-source their suits off-shore in many cases.
I recommend a 7 mm step in jacket (with short legs), farmer john pant, Cold water hood (3mm face seal & large tuck in skirt) 3 finger gloves. Better coverage of the core.
Zippers are on alternate sides ie pants left, jacket right), so there's a longer leak path.
You can skip the pants & hood or & use 5 finger gloves in warmer waters.
I also suggest at least 3 mm gloves in warmer months, due to zebra muscles.

As far as thermal protection goes, this is a personal item. It will depend on how cold tolerant you are, how long you want to extend the season around here and if you plan to also dive in warmer climates (ie winter trips south). If you are looking at having a longer season and you are reasonable tolerant, you might want to have a 5 mil wetsuit for summers up here and any down south trips and then a drysuit for the extended season as well as diving the lakes. While you can go to a heavy wetsuit, 3 finger gloves, heavy hood for the cold water, unless you are very cold tolerant you will get tired of this setup.

Back
Top Bottom