New to Diving - Cornwall / Long Sault

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New to diving here. Just finished PADI OW cert.

I trained with my brother, but I have a feeling he isn't going to have the time available to dive as much as I want, what with a wife and baby on the way :p

I'm just looking to introduce myself and find some local divers who I can join up with :) I work Mon-Fri days so it would mostly be weekend dives, but I do have very flexible bosses so who knows :p

If you guys / gals are up for it, I also wouldn't mind getting my gear shopping list critiqued before dropping about 6k...

Cheers :)
Daniel

Nope not been to lock 21 yet. I've only dove Ivy Lea, Centeen park, and Cardinal (the Conestoga).

I'd like to hear from people who dive normally with Seaway Valley Divers Club as a few of the people I trained with poo-pooed them for being too close-nit of a group and not the best for newbies. Maybe that was just somebody with a grudge or bad experience though?

Nope not been to lock 21 yet. I've only dove Ivy Lea, Centeen park, and Cardinal (the Conestoga).

I'd like to hear from people who dive normally with Seaway Valley Divers Club as a few of the people I trained with poo-pooed them for being too close-nit of a group and not the best for newbies. Maybe that was just somebody with a grudge or bad experience though?

Dive politics are funny things.

Welcome to the board. We dive up and down the Saint Lawrence with divers of different levels. May I suggest that Lock 21 may not be the best site to start with (high current and low viz) however there are plenty of other sites (as you have already started to find out).

Right in same neighborhood as Conestoga is the Wee Hawk.

Attachments

• Wee_Hawk.JPG
    Wee_Hawk.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the tips :) I think Ill check out the seaway club. Anybody know what the $60 (yearly I assume) fee gets me other than the ability to dive with the club?

Hopefully some of the more experienced divers out there can critique my dive equipment list. My goal is to buy the equipment once and have it last me no matter the type of diving I get into. That being said, let me know if I've picked something that is unnecessarily expensive or useless to have, etc. Also point out if you think I have missed any gear.

dive computer / compass:
- suunto vyper novo wrist computer ($799.95)
- suunto sk8 bungee mount compass ($109.95)

regulator kit setup (is this the proper name for everything together?):
- scubapro mk25 evo / s620ti ($1129.99)
- scubapro r195 octopus ($299.99)
- mares mission 2 console pressure and depth ($189.99)
- suunto air integrated wireless tank pressure transmitter ($439.95)

bcd:
- halcyon infinity bc system (~$1200.00)
- steel backplate
- 40lb wing
- sta without weights
- weight system

suit:
- scubapro everflex wetsuit 5/7mm ($639.99)
- scubapro delta boots 5mm ($77.99)
- neosport xspan vented bib hood 5mm ($51.99)
- scubapro jet fins with spring straps ($219.95)

I already have mask and gloves, but everything else will need to be purchased if I want to dive again after labour day when my instructor wants his gear back. I will also need tanks, but I assume there is no real difference between tank brands for AL80s? The trickiest choice so far seams to be the bcd setup - everything I have read points to the backplate / wing design to being the best in the end even if it takes a bit more work to get used to it (currently using jacket bcd).

I want to be sure about all of this since it adds up to $5159.74 before tax!

Thanks so much in advance!

You might want to look at options for the computer (you might want to look at the Shearwater Perdix AI given you are going AI). Also look around for pricing on the reg set and possibly an apeks set. You also just need a pressure gauge (as a backup) given depth will be on the computer. You will need some weights (lead). Also for the river you will need gloves. Until the water gets cold you can just use thin ones (I use Canadian Tire mechanics gloves).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom