New to diving and off to belize!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louniliki

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm stopping in Belize in a couple of weeks. The week of 11th June and i've only got a few days.

I was recommended to go to Caye Caulker. I really want to do a few dives when i'm there. I've got my PADI open water cert but haven't done a dive in a few years. I'm traveling alone so really want to make sure I go with a dive operator that's v safety concious as i'm not the most confident diver and have only done about 15 dives.

I was wondering what tour operators people would recommend and what dive sites? I was reading up about Frenchies and they have had a lot of bad recommendations on several sites recently.

Also from what I've heard the Blue hole dive is worth skipping especially as I have not done my advanced OWD yet. I had been thinking I could do that dive as my deep dive for my advanced but if i'm limited on time maybe i might be better opting for some other dives.

Any recommendations welcome!!!

I'll be diving in Belize for a week on June 15. It's my second trip there, but I have over a hundred dives in the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and the Caribbean. Max depths of 130ft. If you haven't been diving in a few years and when you did dive you only had 15 dives, you might want to book a refresher course. In fact, you would have to probably take the OW course all over again if you dove in the Flordia Keys, if I remember correctly most of the Dive Ops there require you to take OW if it's been two years or more since your last dive (they are very touchy about liability in the U.S.). I just don't think you would be ready for the Advanced course with only 15 dives a few years ago.

Email some of the dive ops in Belize, explain your situation to them. But you have to be realistic about your situation. If they suggest a refresher or even taking the OW again, at least you're diving in a fantastic dive spot.

Hi Waynel,

Thanks for that. Yes I think a refresher is definately needed. I'm going to try and do it in Ireland before I go even though the scenery will not be as nice there. I did my open water in Spain with one to one tuition and then did some dives in jamacia but really want to go with a safety concious dive center as i've read a lot of bad reports about some not taking safety seriously. Thanks for your advice.

I did a refresher with Belize Diving Services a few years back.
They've changed owners since, but the staff looks to be mostly the same based on their website.
Dive the local dive sites with them to get comfortable again.
The local sites are easy to dive, navigate and practice in (I did my OW there in '99)
Then once you're comfortable again, ask to get on a boat to turneffe with them.
The diving there is world class.
Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom