New to Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jejton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I moved out here this past summer from NY and wanted to say hi. Never really thought of Lake Michigan as a dive destination before but now I'm curious as I don't have many opportunities for dive travel. I'm OW with about 30 dives logged. What is the local diving like? Is it mostly about the wrecks or is there good wildlife viewing as well? Wet or drysuit? What is the season ? I'm hoping to take an AOW class before summer's out. What are the local dive shops, ops?
I'd love to try and attend one of your club meetings - when, where are they held ?

Go swing by Dive Right in Scuba, they'll be able to get you situated, you have one of the best local dive shops in the country in your backyard, Mike and his team are fantastic

We're here in Plainfield, stop by and visit...There's no shortage of epic diving around here and we won't be afraid to fill you in about it! :D

I moved out here this past summer from NY and wanted to say hi. Never really thought of Lake Michigan as a dive destination before but now I'm curious as I don't have many opportunities for dive travel. I'm OW with about 30 dives logged. What is the local diving like? Is it mostly about the wrecks or is there good wildlife viewing as well? Wet or drysuit? What is the season ? I'm hoping to take an AOW class before summer's out. What are the local dive shops, ops? I'd love to try and attend one of your club meetings - when, where are they held ?

Welcome! There are a number of dive shops in the Chicago-area; what area are you located in and do you have a car or do you mostly depend on public transportation?

If you can get to it, you should check out the Our World Underwater dive show next weekend, see the link below. It's an annual show at the Stephen's Convention Center near O'Hare. Even if you just attend the exhibits for one day there are usually reps from some local scuba clubs and dive ops there. If you have a DAN card then bring it with you for a discount on your admission fee.

Chicago | Our World Underwater

Last edited:
I'm in the Skokie/Evanston area and do have a car so transportation is not an issue ( though parking may be if I come into the city). I do want to go to the underwater show but not sure if I will get to it due to work. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the Skokie/Evanston area and do have a car so transportation is not an issue ( though parking may be if I come into the city). I do want to go to the underwater show but not sure if I will get to it due to work. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am located in the SW suburbs so I can't make any local recommendations but there are some options in your area. There is Elmer's Watersports in Evanston and DD Dive in Waukegan and other scuba shops on the north side of Chicago.

There is also a dive club in Wheeling, see below; but I don't know any of the members. Good luck!

Wheeling
Buccaneers Dive Club
Dale Bennett (847) 520-4689
71 S Milwaukee Ave.
Wheeling, IL 60090
captndale@aol.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom