New To Charleston Sc Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irish911

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm relocating to Charleston next week for my job so I'm hoping to be able to enjoy some of the great Carolina diving that I've been hearing about.

I've taken BSAC training, and then restarted last month with NAUI training, but the water temps here in TN are too cold to finish the open water training portion. Can anyone recommend a NAUI shop or certified instructor in the Charleston SC area that could help me complete the open water portion of my NAUI certification, or a PADI shop that won't charge me a huge fee to finish with a PADI certification.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not sure there are any dive shops in Charleston except Charleston Scuba or Low Country Watersports - both PADI.
New at Charleston Scuba
Lowcountry Scuba Online

Check here for NAUI options - although there aren't any in SC apparently. Locations | NAUI Worldwide. Dive Safety Through Education

I've been to Charleston Scuba - seems like a good outfit - but our charter got canceled due to weather so I haven't dove there. Express Watersports is a good operation also - a couple hours north in Murrell's Inlet (south Myrtle Beach) I have dove with them several times.

Mike, was that great Carolina diving you heard about in North Carolina? Tried it last August & had a great time. Might be worth a road trip for you, maybe up to Wilmington? I wonder what the South Carolina diving is like?

Richard.

I can only comment about the Cooper River. Some of the best dives I have ever had. Check it out. Maybe can get a few of us on here to do a trip to the Cooper.

I would suggest Charleston Scuba. I have dove with them several times and they are a great group. This was my last trip down there.

According to Charleston scuba's web site they charge $500 to complete referral dives which is the same cost as taking their full open water course. I've already paid $250 to BSAC and about $250 to NAUI (finished classroom and pool with both organization) transferred jobs before we could do our open water dives. I'm not really keen on spending another $500 to finally get open water certified, I can understand a new center wanting to make sure I know what I'm doing before they take me out but charging full price is in my opinion gouging, especially since I'd be joining their dive club, and purchasing my dive equipment through them.

According to Charleston scuba's web site they charge $500 to complete referral dives which is the same cost as taking their full open water course. I've already paid $250 to BSAC and about $250 to NAUI (finished classroom and pool with both organization) transferred jobs before we could do our open water dives. I'm not really keen on spending another $500 to finally get open water certified, I can understand a new center wanting to make sure I know what I'm doing before they take me out but charging full price is in my opinion gouging, especially since I'd be joining their dive club, and purchasing my dive equipment through them.

Who cares what their website says. Call them and hear it in person - you may be able to strike a deal - they want to make money one way or another. Use their need for income against them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom