New to CCR, What agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traveling nomad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All

I just bought myself a CCR and am trying to choose an agency to do my training with. I do understand that the certification is unit specific for these.
Are also the higher certs, trimix, cave, etc unit specific?

What I mean is, if a train on unit A, to trimix level. Then switch to unit B, do a crossover, then would I be starting over from the beginning again having to go through all higher levels of training again as well (huge extra cost)?
Or after doing a crossover are all higher certs also updated to reflect this crossover?
Is it different from agency to agency? How?

Thanks for any information

Look for the right instructor, don't care about the agency. My instructor asked which agency I wanted a card with. Just a matter of where to send the paperwork (and which version of the test to give you).

The right instructor is more important than the right agency. Find an instructor you trust and respect, and read everything you can.

Which CCR did you buy? That would determine the best instructor out there for you. It's always the instructor, not the agency.

I bought a Pelagian and have the first course booked with Andy next month.
Just trying to plan for the future not having to start all over if I change unit for whatever reason some time down the line.

Ah, then. It really doesn't matter, or it hasn't to me. I've been asked to present a card twice, but only that I am certified.

Most people I know cross over at the Mod 1 level and leave it at that. If you get another unit, do the crossover with whoever can teach on the unit. The point is to teach you the unit itself, and the way it dives. Mod 2 and 3 are very much more about teaching you skills involved with surviving depth, decompression, etc., rather than the ins and outs of the unit itself.

Most people I know who are certified on several units only have Mod 2 or 3 for one unit, regardless of whether or not they're diving other units to those levels. And I've never had anybody ask to see a rebreather ticket regardless of the dive. Although I may have to finally go do a cave ccr course if I ever want to dive at Ginnie, despite the fact that I've been cave ccr diving since I got my first unit.

ETA: @Traveling nomad that's a solid choice on unit. The Pelagian is a solid little unit that travels exceedingly well. I own one myself and thoroughly enjoy diving it, even though it's not the only unit I own. I don't agree with Andy's two-cell ideology, hence adding a 3rd cell to my unit so that I can make decisions with a more acceptable level of information (in my mind anyway), but overall the unit is fantastic, and has taken me some serious places. I dive a hybrid unit that's a combo of a Mk1, a Mk2, and various aftermarket bits and pieces.

Although I may have to finally go do a cave ccr course if I ever want to dive at Ginnie,
Such a stupid requirement.

Such a stupid requirement.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of rebreather certs issued in cave country spend most of their required bottom time in the overhead almost right off the bat. There's only so much to see at Troy.....

Back
Top Bottom