New to BP/W setup - sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ripcord

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am a relatively new diver, with only about 15 dives so far. Most were cold freshwater wreck dives, as I live in Ontario, Canada. I do like to travel though, and hope to do more tropical dives soon. All my dives have been single tank, and while I want room to grow, a double tank set up is WAY out of my price range.

I am doing my Advanced Open Water course this weekend and am very excited so I've spent the entire work week reading diving forums instead of working. I have NEVER dove a backplate setup before, but I will be using a Halcyon rental rig this weekend. I expect to like it (as everyone seems to) and I'd like to be ready to make a purchase shortly after.

So I've been reading and pricing and everyone seems to be raving about oxycheq gear. Since I am new at this I am not all that comfortable building a rig by myself, so I'd prefer to get a setup where the pieces match nicely. I am still working out the differences between your harnesses. I want to buy one good rig the FIRST time.

Anyway the main purpose of this post: Sizing! I am 23 and close to 6'6" and 200lbs. I am VERY tall but not really especially wide. I am not fat and am in decent shape. With rental BCDs in salt water with a shorty I used 5 lbs of weight, in freshwater with full 7mm i used about 20lbs. I expect these weights to go down as I improve and especially with a BP. Do I need a large or long style backplate. Do you still make them? I'm pretty set on SS.

Thats my main question, but any information on the two different harness styles, or wing suggestions (Signiture or Camo?) or even weight pocket/whatever suggestions. In buying online I lose a lot of help for beginners from my LDS, but they don't stock oxy products. I am still going to get regs and my wetsuit from them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello,

I am a relatively new diver, with only about 15 dives so far. Most were cold freshwater wreck dives, as I live in Ontario, Canada. I do like to travel though, and hope to do more tropical dives soon. All my dives have been single tank, and while I want room to grow, a double tank set up is WAY out of my price range.

I am doing my Advanced Open Water course this weekend and am very excited so I've spent the entire work week reading diving forums instead of working. I have NEVER dove a backplate setup before, but I will be using a Halcyon rental rig this weekend. I expect to like it (as everyone seems to) and I'd like to be ready to make a purchase shortly after.

So I've been reading and pricing and everyone seems to be raving about oxycheq gear. Since I am new at this I am not all that comfortable building a rig by myself, so I'd prefer to get a setup where the pieces match nicely. I am still working out the differences between your harnesses. I want to buy one good rig the FIRST time.

Anyway the main purpose of this post: Sizing! I am 23 and close to 6'6" and 200lbs. I am VERY tall but not really especially wide. I am not fat and am in decent shape. With rental BCDs in salt water with a shorty I used 5 lbs of weight, in freshwater with full 7mm i used about 20lbs. I expect these weights to go down as I improve and especially with a BP. Do I need a large or long style backplate. Do you still make them? I'm pretty set on SS.

Thats my main question, but any information on the two different harness styles, or wing suggestions (Signiture or Camo?) or even weight pocket/whatever suggestions. In buying online I lose a lot of help for beginners from my LDS, but they don't stock oxy products. I am still going to get regs and my wetsuit from them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. I will be more than happy to discuss the different aspects of the Oxycheq BP/W's with you.

Call me at the shop after 3:00 est today, and I'll help you out. (863)-471-DIVE(3483)

Safe Diving

Back
Top Bottom