New to Alberta - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeWelly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I am new to Scuba diving, just got my certifications last year and bought all my gear and everything in the summer. 2 months ago I moved to Alberta and all i'm seeing/hearing from people is all the lakes are man made and they're probably aren't places to scuba dive.

I'm living SE Calgary and was wondering if anyone knows some hot spots in Alberta I could go. I'm going back to Ontario to grab all my personal belongings sometime in August (gear is included in that list) but I thought I would research and get a head start on this now.

Hey Mike

Facebook group the Underwater Outlaws, will know and be able to help you out..Good group of guys that are passionate about diving

If you find yourself in BC to do some diving, I can help you out

Checkout the Alberta Underwater Council website and FB page, lots of good info. Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't dove here yet, I mainly head out to Bc once a month for diving out there.

Mike,

You have been given two great sources of info.

There is a huge diving community in Calgary. Who'd have thought that Calgary would have four dive shops.

The folks at the UWO will be great in getting you out local diving. The Underwater Council also has a guide to some of the Alberta dive sites. William (Bill) Hall, a local Instructor, has also produced an excellent book entitled "Diving Southern Alberta" which has lots of detail on dive sites in our area. You can get it at any of the shops. I know we have copies.

Currently the "best" spots for us (it is all relative because of the conditions we are experiencing right now) include Waterton. In the good years, Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack in Banff NP are terrific dive sites.

You also have to consider that the west coast is almost "local". A day's drive and you are at some of the best diving on the planet. You don't even have to go that far as there are spots in Southern BC as well. Just so happens that Bill Hall wrote another book on those as well!

Bill

Bill Hall's book for BC is one of my most important parts of my dive kit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom