new thought from a jacket to wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
someone in one of my post suggested going to a rear inflated jacket like maybe the zeagle ripcord for example from my aqualung pro hd .instead of a wing .they are cheaper .any thoughts on this

Personal preference , i like the BP/W set up the most .

If you are interested in Tech diving you will eventually need to switch to a BP/W set up but for now it does not matter as much.

back inflates are typically not any cheaper than bpw's. You mention a lot of travel and the backplates tend to travel a bit easier since they pack flatter and their total weight isn't much higher.
If you dive locally, it shouldn't even be a discussion, you need a backplate, and likely 2 of them *one wing though*. Have one plate for travel when you are diving without much exposure protection, and one for diving locally in a drysuit.

link to other thread for anyone curious
upgrade decisions

A lot of people prefer soft harness type setups for travel, and I'm certainly not opposed to them, they're quite comfortable. @The Chairman is quite outspoken about his, unfortunately my favorite one, the Dive Rite Hunterpac was discontinued a few years ago. Great option for diving without a wetsuit, not really the best for drysuit diving.

someone in one of my post suggested going to a rear inflated jacket like maybe the zeagle ripcord for example from my aqualung pro hd .instead of a wing .they are cheaper .any thoughts on this

Depends on how cheap you can get them: e.g. LP has covert on sale @ $275. $200 for DGX wing plus some $30 for a soft plate leaves you with $50 for webbing and d-rings and cambands... it'll probably add up to a little more than $275, but not by much.

I love my Zeagle Stiletto. Pretty much everyone I dive with has a wing. I just don't need to modify much. It already has everything I need. It is super adjustable too, and I fold it up and buckle when traveling just like you would a wing. My reel fits in my pocket too.

It can be hard to get those last few bubbles out of the BCD sometimes, but once you're used to it its fine.

You should shop around. Yes, a back inflate can be cheaper immediately. However, if you want your rig to be flexible or plan to eventually get into tech, a BPW can be cheaper in the long run.

When I was shopping for a BC, money was scarce, so I looked for the cheapest option. I considered BPW, but I couldn't find one in the ballpark of the $220 Genesis Tropix back inflate I got on LeisurePro. After 14 yrs, ~120 dives, Im still using it both locally and for travel. (Altho it wont pack as compact as a BPW)

When making the cost comparison I considered what I would need to add to the BPW. The BPW itself might be had for ~$260, but I would need to add weight pockets, a STA, and accessory pockets -- all that adds up. So I went for the cheapest option.

I probably wont go tech, so I am happy with my choice. Today, I have more money available, so I might have gone w/ a BPW, just to take a few pounds off my rig, but Im good w/ my BC and don't see any reason to change..

Perfect for shore diving when you're being smashed and need every inch of your lung expansion
without having to rip open your cummerbund to breathe, when wearing the all encapsulating jacket

I've used a bp/w with my drysuit since the early '80s, starting with an AtPac. However, I continue to use a jacket in warm water (currently a Zeagle Scout).

The differences make it an easy decision for me:

First, I dive with double steels at home... they're heavy. More to the point, I dive from my RHIB most of the time, so I drop my tanks in the water, drag my butt out of the water, then haul the tanks in later. I also have pockets in my drysuit so I can carry my DSMB/spool and anything else I need in those pockets.

On the other hand, when I am south, I don't have pockets and I dive a single aluminum, so I don't need much lift. I also don't normally dump my tanks in the water. The small pockets in the Scout are adequate to carry my DSMB and spool.

I should add that I occasionally sling an 80 stage on deep dives. I had to jury-rig the Scout for this, but it works fine for the once in a blue moon I do this.

The Scout is a back bag model... It's honestly not the best if I'm waiting on the surface for long since it tends to push me forward. For the other 98% of the time, when I am actually diving, it's a great little BCD.

Zeagle Stiletto user so will offer up my $.02. Pockets are a plus for ditchable weight & storage and like most Zeagles, very adjustable (close to a BPW but never equal). Don't likes are few but d-ring placement is set and is smaller and floppier than what I'd prefer. Weight is OK but travels larger and heavier than my wife's LadyHawk (SP backinflate model). Overall I like it a lot but if I had to do it over again.... I'd have pocket shorts and a freedom plate.

edit: oh yes, I occasionally sling a 19cft pony. It works fine but again, d-ring placement...

I strongly prefer a back inflate BCD to a jacket style.

Once you decide to go back inflate, then the decision on back inflate integrated BCD vs BP/W is a whole nother question.

If you decide to go BP/W, it would be very hard to find a better value than this single tank package from Dive Gear Express.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

$349, or $359 with a stainless steel plate, for a complete package, ready to put together and go dive.

If you get that package, I would add a pair of trim weight pockets, for $20, so you can put them on one of your tank straps and be able to add up to 8# of lead to the rig. If you're diving an AL80 you'll probably need at least some lead.

DGX Trim Weight Pocket {4 lb | 1.8 kg}

Back
Top Bottom