New SWIFT™ AI TRANSMITTER and New Firmware Release

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that you had to have both SN connected to the same dc, then if they bumped heads you'd lose a signal. I didn't think that random transmitters could bump heads from other people? Were you all logged into the same transmitters?
You’ll need the SN connected for the computer to read it. But not necessarily for them to interfere with each other. The transmitter sends the tank pressure data along with the serial number at the specified frequency (38KHz, IIRC). The computer just looks for that SN to determine if it should display the info. If multiple transmitters are sending data at the same time, the computer can’t understand what is being sent.

Same principle if multiple parties are talking at the same time on the same VHF channel. You can hear them, just can’t make anything out.

You’ll need the SN connected for the computer to read it. But not necessarily for them to interfere with each other. The transmitter sends the tank pressure data along with the serial number at the specified frequency (38KHz, IIRC). The computer just looks for that SN to determine if it should display the info. If multiple transmitters are sending data at the same time, the computer can’t understand what is being sent.

Same principle if multiple parties are talking at the same time on the same VHF channel. You can hear them, just can’t make anything out.

Makes good sense... a little surprised we haven't hear a lot more of these stories though. Most people seem to get along just fine.

@Rukkian just how close do you and your buddies get in the watero_O:poke::D

Makes good sense... a little surprised we haven't hear a lot more of these stories though. Most people seem to get along just fine.

@Rukkian just how close do you and your buddies get in the watero_O:poke::D

Visibility was like 5' below the thermocline, so we were staying pretty close.

Can I use the side mount features with an older model shearwater transmitter and an Sherwood for example?
I don't understand the question.
Are you asking if an older model Shearwater transmitter (non-swift) will have naming capacity with a Sherwood computer?
Not sure what you are asking about.

Can I use the side mount features with an older model shearwater transmitter and an Sherwood for example?
if I understand correctly, No! the sidemount features are software updates on the shearwater computer. shearwater transmitters have nothing to do with it.

The SM features of the latest Shearwater firmware have nothing to do with what transmitter you are using.

It's really annoying that the info about all this was put out in a way that makes it sound like you need the new transmitter in order to take advantage of the SM features in the new firmware.

Any SW computer with the new firmware (and AI support) has the new SM features. You can use that with any Shearwater or PPS transmitters that you want. I.e. any transmitter, old or new, that the Shearwater computer will read.

Yep. The Swifts will reduce the likelihood of tx interference, but any PPS transmitter (Oceanic, Sherwood, SW older model, etc) will be used to calculate all the new SM features

I don't understand the question.
Are you asking if an older model Shearwater transmitter (non-swift) will have naming capacity with a Sherwood computer?
Not sure what you are asking about.

if I understand correctly, No! the sidemount features are software updates on the shearwater computer. shearwater transmitters have nothing to do with it.

The SM features of the latest Shearwater firmware have nothing to do with what transmitter you are using.

It's really annoying that the info about all this was put out in a way that makes it sound like you need the new transmitter in order to take advantage of the SM features in the new firmware.

Any SW computer with the new firmware (and AI support) has the new SM features. You can use that with any Shearwater or PPS transmitters that you want. I.e. any transmitter, old or new, that the Shearwater computer will read.

Yep. The Swifts will reduce the likelihood of tx interference, but any PPS transmitter (Oceanic, Sherwood, SW older model, etc) will be used to calculate all the new SM features

Thanks, guys.
Was able to monitor both side mount tanks with my perdix ai and a perdix tx and a Sherwood tx.

Wonderful.

For those of you with SWIFT transmitters, have you sourced any replacement battery compartment o-rings? If so, would you care sharing your source? The Shearwater doc says the size is 24x1.5mm. That is an o-ring size I'm not familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom