New SWIFT™ AI TRANSMITTER and New Firmware Release

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

The yellow and green transmitters were around LONG before Shearwater finally decided to add AI to their computers. Shearwater never even sold the green ones, as far as I know. I think Oceanic was the only one selling green ones and they stopped before Shearwater even got into AI.
Gotcha. Made an assumption there. I only ever saw yellow ones that were SW branded.

So, I guess the Swift is the only time they did something about it, beyond recommending different colors.

Undoubtedly, there is some truth to it being an abundance of caution. However, it is something that SW feels strongly enough about to address twice. First, they had PPS make green and yellow versions with different timing. Second, they spent R&D Loons on developing the Swift.

You may not discover an overlap immediately. If the faster transmitter is behind the slower one, all may appear good until well into the dive. If it occurs on land, you can try to correct by turning one of the transmitters off. You can’t really do that underwater.

How long does it take to "power off"? I thought they shut down below ~ 50psi? If you did get an overlap... couldn't you just turn one tank off and purge the reg? I'm sure I'm missing something. I can't imagine the overlap could happen twice on the same dive?

How long does it take to "power off"? I thought they shut down below ~ 50psi? If you did get an overlap... couldn't you just turn one tank off and purge the reg? I'm sure I'm missing something. I can't imagine the overlap could happen twice on the same dive?
Yes, I think that is correct that they turn off at around 50psi. Turning off the valve and purging the reg underwater can lead to water getting into places where you don’t want it to be.

Yes, I think that is correct that they turn off at around 50psi. Turning off the valve and purging the reg underwater can lead to water getting into places where you don’t want it to be.

I guess it depends on the setup. If I'm in a horizontal position then I can't see how. Vertical and holding the reg hose high in the sky when purged, then sure. Just looking to go below 50psi..as the bubbles slow down stop purging?

I was just curious if that's a possibility. Could always purge by breathing it down too.

I guess it depends on the setup. If I'm in a horizontal position then I can't see how. Vertical and holding the reg hose high in the sky when purged, then sure. Just looking to go below 50psi..as the bubbles slow down stop purging?

I was just curious if that's a possibility. Could always purge by breathing it down too.
We had 5 gray transmitters between 3 divers last month and ran into random problems. One of the guys had back mounted doubles and turned off and isolated the tank where the transmitter he lost was at, waited (without purging) and turned it back on, and his came back. I still had problems near one of the other divers. Once the third diver (with 2 transmitters) bailed on the dive, we had not more problems, and only really had problems if we were pretty close. Since vis was bad, we were normally staying pretty close.

We had 5 gray transmitters between 3 divers last month and ran into random problems. One of the guys had back mounted doubles and turned off and isolated the tank where the transmitter he lost was at, waited (without purging) and turned it back on, and his came back. I still had problems near one of the other divers. Once the third diver (with 2 transmitters) bailed on the dive, we had not more problems, and only really had problems if we were pretty close. Since vis was bad, we were normally staying pretty close.

I was under the impression that you had to have both SN connected to the same dc, then if they bumped heads you'd lose a signal. I didn't think that random transmitters could bump heads from other people? Were you all logged into the same transmitters?

I was under the impression that you had to have both SN connected to the same dc, then if they bumped heads you'd lose a signal. I didn't think that random transmitters could bump heads from other people? Were you all logged into the same transmitters?

No, we were not. None of us have ever loaded each other's transmitters, and none of us have problems on other dives. It was only while we had all 5 transmitters and were in close proximity that we had any issues at all, the whole weekend. We did some lake michigan wrecks, but were spread out and had no issues, then went to a quarry the next day and had issues if we were close. No expert, but, to me, it shouldn't matter if it is connected to a computer, if it is transmitting at the same time, it could in theory collide.

No, we were not. None of us have ever loaded each other's transmitters, and none of us have problems on other dives. It was only while we had all 5 transmitters and were in close proximity that we had any issues at all, the whole weekend. We did some lake michigan wrecks, but were spread out and had no issues, then went to a quarry the next day and had issues if we were close. No expert, but, to me, it shouldn't matter if it is connected to a computer, if it is transmitting at the same time, it could in theory collide.

I don't know enough either... I would think that a dc is listening for a signal from whatever SN you tell it... since it's not listening for any others they shouldn't matter or should they bump heads.. obviously you had issues, so I guess I'm wrong.

I only have one, so I don't really have a pony in the race, just interesting.

I don't know enough either... I would think that a dc is listening for a signal from whatever SN you tell it... since it's not listening for any others they shouldn't matter or should they bump heads.. obviously you had issues, so I guess I'm wrong.

I only have one, so I don't really have a pony in the race, just interesting.

I only have one as well, but as I buy more, plan to get the swift. The other 2 I was diving with both had 2, and my computer was dropping as well if I got close.

I only have one as well, but as I buy more, plan to get the swift. The other 2 I was diving with both had 2, and my computer was dropping as well if I got close.

I don't know if I really need another for anything. I just added the psi to the screen with a mini screen. Before that I was really just using it to see my info later in a graph. It's nice, but I could live without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom