New stand for threading plate harnesses. When you do a lot of them.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been selling quite a few plate and wing set ups. Biggest PIA is having a way to hold the plate to make threading the harness quick and easy. Setting it on the bench works but not ideal. Trying to do it while holding it or laying it down is also a pain. So after some deliberation, design modifications, and gathering materials this is what I now have in the shop to do it. Made of 1 inch steel square tubing, base plate and gussets from 1/4 inch steel plate, rubber padding, a couple ss bolts, washers, and wing nuts. Coupled with a can of Rustoleum I now have an ideal way to hold it at a height that is comfortable to work with and very sturdy. Here are some pics. When you have access to a machine shop with a waterjet, band saw, welder, and people that know how to operate them it doesn't take long to make equipment that works to your specifications.

Attachments

• Plate stand top.jpg
    Plate stand top.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 179
  • bottom detail 2.jpg
    bottom detail 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 153
  • bottom detail3.jpg
    bottom detail3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 150
  • full length.jpg
    full length.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 152
  • top on stand long.jpg
    top on stand long.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 139
very cool! Option "b" should be a clamp/socket for use on a bench in conjunction with a segmented pole.....

That would be ideal if I was planning on mfg'ing and selling them. Good idea, Bob. My set up now in the service area is such that this works best since it's portable. I can move it around to suit my needs at the time. And it will make a dandy display/ demonstration stand for shows. It will be with me in Columbus for the mini workshops on plate set up I'll be doing in my booth.

Looks beautiful! Is that powder coated or painted? Slightly overkill for holding a 6 lb plate as a few tack welds and no gussets would have worked LOL I like overkill :) I read bench mount but why not wall mount too? Could be accomplished with three pieces of metal and screwed to a stud with two 2 1/2" screws.

The first thought that came to my mind is bike repair stand, as it looks very similar to mine. I don't need a tool like that as I use the floor or a bench typically, and only do so once a year or so for other people. I do use my bike stand fairly often though for bike repairs, and it would easily clamp a plate in the vise (Then again I have a vise mounted on one of my tool boxes that would clamp a plate until flat if I wanted too).

ultimate-stand.jpg

Bike stand looks like it would indeed work. But how much was the bike stand. Using salvaged materials and volunteer welding expertise my total out of pocket expense for this - $4.87 - four dollars and 87 cents for this stand

Not powder coated, Could have had that done at our other shop but since it's a gubmint job no telling when I'd get it back. Paint is rustoleum applied by me in three coats after a total wipe down with laquer thinner.

Back
Top Bottom