New set up & needing advise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ldavis4662

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm new to Gopro filming and looking for some advice. Here is the current set up that I'm heading to Bonaire with:

GoPro 3+ black
LCD back
Flip3.1 with 2 x 55mm filters - URPro CY 55 mm from SRP and the Macromini from Backscatter
SRP tray & handles with 6" loclines
2 x Gobe 700 wide lights

I'm planning on editing through GoPro Ciniform since I'm not to familiar with editing software and it seems pretty easy to navigate. What I'm struggling with is what settings I should use when underwater. I'm planning on shooting shallows without the filter and for deeper dive (no deeper than 80') using the filter and lights when at the deepest levels.

For easiest editing and to get the best quality video without spending forever editing, is it best to shoot at 1080 x 60 frames, AWB, and Protune off? I've seen so many comments on settings I can't keep it straight! Any general settings or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated for my setup!

Your setup looks pretty good. Beware of the LCD, it eats battery power like a the Gov't eats through money. Get extra batteries, you'll need them. If your going to be using the LCD be sure to turn it of when not needed and maybe even turn off the camera between shots. In truth the GoPro shoot so wide you can't miss. The LCD would be more useful when shooting close ups with the macro lens to help frame your shot. Try to keep the camera as steady as possible, shake shows up easy on video.

As far as easier video for editing. Go with 1080p, 60fps, AWB and Protune off. Your color will look good as long as the red filter is on. If its off, use your lights. Later if your up too more accurate and consistent color and picture, then you can try RAW WB and Protune.

Good luck

Looks like a good setup. I have never liked editing in cineform, I use that to import and adjust color (protune) and then saved the video to edit in windows moviemaker. Now I use adobe premier elements.

Remember that your lights will only light up objects within a few feet from the camera, they will not light up the water or return the color to objects over 4 feet away. So use your filter for everything farther than 2-3 feet and the lights for everything closer, especially macro.

Also remember (if possible) to film your subject a few seconds longer than you normally
think you should, the human eyes and brain see things differently than a camera. If u film like you see then your footage will be choppy, bumpy, and sloppy. Smooth and slow gets the shot.

The LCD eats batteries and using it will cause u to have to switch between dives, increasing the chance of flooding. It is also prone to glare and difficult to see underwater without a hood or shade.

If you film without the LCD, which most of us do, remember to aim it a little bit down. Often you'll be looking over the gopro at your subject and due to the angle you may cut off the bottom of the subject.

Wasabi batteries are good and usually around $20-25 for 2x batteries and charger... MUST BUY!

SETTINGS: I would suggest you start with 1080p/60 for bright/clear days... Darker or less viz I would
suggest 1080/30. Auto WB will work well enough, but eventually as you get better Protune/CamRAW is suggested (more time editing and more memory). And then also you can explore 2.7k. Remember if u go under a ledge or a cavern the gopro will automatically adjust itself to the lower light, but it takes a few seconds and if you are in a high frame rate the noise will increase.

Explore YouTube and Vimeo for videos and try to remember what you like, and ask questions there too!

Back
Top Bottom