New seals at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was diving at Whytecliff Sat. and ascended to see a small crowd gathered on the beach around a few big plastic dog crates. I soon realized they were releasing seals! They made their way slowly into the water, then stuck around and kept popping their heads up to check things out. It turns out there were 4 of them. They'd been rescued from various locations around the province, were rehabbed, and now released back into to wild. Yes, the news crews were there, but they only aired a very short segment from what I saw.
On the second dive I felt something bump my fin while I watched over the class. I thought it was another diver passing by, but turned to see a seal grabbing at my fin with that mischievous puppy look in his eyes. He stuck around for a bit before swimming off. (the viz. was actually decent too!). I think that was one of the resident seals who I've seen before, but maybe these new ones will make the bay their home as well. :)

If they are harbor seals and you are using an HID light during a night dive, you will attract them to stunned fish. In Seattle starting around now, we will find the seals fishing in our light beams. Non HID's don't seem to attract them nearly as much.

OE2X: The one local (and very fat) seal at Whitecliff does this very regularly ... HID or no HID :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom